Cyrus 1 output transistor question. push-pull?

I added the presets across the solder posts next to R81 after removing R81

I expect mission provided the posts fir service convenience ?
Ice just swapped out the old 470uF caps on the preamp psu side for nichicon finr gold 100v jobs. Panasonics I wanted to git are a bit too big. And putting fine golds in where the 22uF polarised caps are on the preamp side. Have nichicon muse forcthe bipolars

How it going ?

Hi.

Recently I let someone borrow my Cyrus 1 for a charity event and unfortunately it returned as a dead Cyrus. I did a visual check and replaced a 3.15A fuse, only to discover that one of the output transistors was shorted. Trying to find a replacement has lead me to some interesting sites, without much luck. Then I found this thread and have been amazed by the help being given to someone who wants to learn by doing. I'm an advocate of learning by failing, though I don't actually see it as failure.

I've registered and read all the posts and am about to put together my own shopping list. I just wanted to say 'thanks' to all who have been helping because it's going to help me no end. Also, it's a change to read comments that actually inform and share, rather than recommend that one finds an expert to do it for you.

My Cyrus 1 got fixed by this thread and the brilliant help within it.
How are you getting on with yours ?

Cyrus 1 might get back on the road again

My Cyrus 1 got fixed by this thread and the brilliant help within it.
How are you getting on with yours ?

Hi and thanks for asking about my Cyrus 1. I have to admit that I have been following this thread until the final chapter before I jump in myself. OK, I could blame the Christmas festivities but that's not true. The thread reads like a crime novel and fortunately has a happy ending. I've made notes from all the posts and will be ordering some goodies from Farnell soon. I have also unearthed my old Sinclair meter to complement my other cheapie meter. All I need to do now is tidy the shed, cut the grass, paint the house and then jump in with both feet.

The support you have been given is amazing, and my faith in humanity somewhat restored by those prepared to offer assistance patiently and without recourse to bitchy comments. I may not be as speedy as you but I reckon that with all this info I should be able to do something.

Actually, I am going to build a bulb tester first seeing as many posts indicate its importance.....

Watch this space, but don't hold your breath. Have a great 2018

Actually, I am going to build a bulb tester first seeing as many posts indicate its importance..... ............
You can build a super/duper Bulb Tester following the assembly instructions of Member Decdun
Building a Gainclone chip amp power supply.
in the section "Testing" where he has added an ON/OFF switch and a Bypass/limiter switch.

If you do add these switches then at least for the Bypass I would use a Push to hold type so that you can't accidentally bypass the bulb on first power up.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. This forum gets better and better. I might even dust off my box of LM3886 chips, but first things first.
Definitely make a bulb limiter.

I'm not quite out the woods yet.

I took the made the mistake of replacing a whole load of old electrolytics and de - sulphiding the selector switch overnight.

Confident ice done a good job on the switch. Pics to follow.

Checked the insulation of the outputs from the heatsink etc they're ok.

On firing up, using the bulb limiter thankfully, all seemed ok. Little glimmer on switch on, that then fades.

I've both 3.15A fuses out and the front panel switch is off.

But after about 10 seconds the bulb grows brighter and brighter and i switched off.

puzzlement.

Switched on again and checked the voltage at the fuse holders.

150v ! wtf !?

off again.

the two big 470uF caps on the preamp psu are pretty warm I don't recall that before.

why on earth would i suddenly be getting big voltages off the secondary windings ?

any ideas folks ?

I've checked all the polarised caps are correctly oriented and looked for stray solder and braid

Definitely make a bulb limiter.

I'm not quite out the woods yet.

I took the made the mistake of replacing a whole load of old electrolytics and de - sulphiding the selector switch overnight.

Confident ice done a good job on the switch. Pics to follow.

Checked the insulation of the outputs from the heatsink etc they're ok.

On firing up, using the bulb limiter thankfully, all seemed ok. Little glimmer on switch on, that then fades.

I've both 3.15A fuses out and the front panel switch is off.

But after about 10 seconds the bulb grows brighter and brighter and i switched off.

puzzlement.

Switched on again and checked the voltage at the fuse holders.

150v ! wtf !?

off again.

the two big 470uF caps on the preamp psu are pretty warm I don't recall that before.

why on earth would i suddenly be getting big voltages off the secondary windings ?

any ideas folks ?

I've checked all the polarised caps are correctly oriented and looked for stray solder and braid
curiouser still it's actually just c68 that's hot and the top may even have bulged up a tad (or its my paranoid imagination) whereas c67 seems only warm

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Before I look at the circuit, just confirm that the 3.15A fuses are removed (so that whatever has happened has not damaged the power amp circuitry).

Caps getting warm suggest either they are fitted back to front or that they are no what they seem (fakes).

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Here is what you need to do:
(its an odd circuit because the part of the power supply you are working on is powered 24/7 and not affected by the power switch position)

1/ Make 100% sure the caps are fitted correctly. Where were they from ? Are they of 50 volt or higher working voltage ?

2/ Connect the black lead of the meter to ground. Use a circuit ground and not the metalwork of the chassis. The negative of any of the speaker terminals should be a good point.

3/ With your meter on AC Volts measure the voltage on the striped end of D19 and D20. You should see around 20 to 22 volts AC.

Before I look at the circuit, just confirm that the 3.15A fuses are removed (so that whatever has happened has not damaged the power amp circuitry).

Caps getting warm suggest either they are fitted back to front or that they are no what they seem (fakes).
They were from hifi collective about a year ago when i fixed my brother's cyrus 2

fuses are out.

I'm going to refit the original 470uFs

bit non-plussed by the high voltage reading

Here is what you need to do:
(its an odd circuit because the part of the power supply you are working on is powered 24/7 and not affected by the power switch position)

1/ Make 100% sure the caps are fitted correctly. Where were they from ? Are they of 50 volt or higher working voltage ?

2/ Connect the black lead of the meter to ground. Use a circuit ground and not the metalwork of the chassis. The negative of any of the speaker terminals should be a good point.

3/ With your meter on AC Volts measure the voltage on the striped end of D19 and D20. You should see around 20 to 22 volts AC.
They say the are 100v
the original smaller 470uFs are 63v