Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

cyrus 1 output transistor question. push-pull?
cyrus 1 output transistor question. push-pull?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2017, 07:06 PM   #11
randombeliefs is offline randombeliefs  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
There are a couple of variations of this amplifier in the service manual although both are basically the same configuration details.

You need to be confident in fitting replacement transistors, probably of a different type to the original parts. Also as a general rule, avoid buying semiconductors from well known auction sites, there are just far to many fakes and remarked devices around.
thanks for the tip
i was looking at maplin Farnell and RS components.

can transistors just fail due to age or is there likely to be another underlying cause and the transistors failed as a consequence?
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2017, 07:12 PM   #12
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator
 
Mooly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
cyrus 1 output transistor question. push-pull?
Hmmm... transistors don't wear out as such, and don't age as such but it is a fact that certain devices of a certain age (and from certain manufacturers) do suffer problems and unusual failure modes. There are no hard and fast rules on that, but I found as a service tech you did get a second sense when faced with these things.

RS, Farnell and CPC are probably the best suppliers in the UK as a generalisation. CPC is part of Farnell.
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2017, 07:30 PM   #13
randombeliefs is offline randombeliefs  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayma View Post
Many amplifiers are "quasi-complementary", using all the same output device for both polarities.
This amp uses all identical outputs, with paralleled pairs for each polarity for each channel.
There's probably more wrong than just those, like the emitter resistors and driver transistors.
Cyrus 2 - Manual - Stereo Integrated Amplifier - HiFi Engine
thank you
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2017, 07:33 PM   #14
randombeliefs is offline randombeliefs  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
Hmmm... transistors don't wear out as such, and don't age as such but it is a fact that certain devices of a certain age (and from certain manufacturers) do suffer problems and unusual failure modes. There are no hard and fast rules on that, but I found as a service tech you did get a second sense when faced with these things.

RS, Farnell and CPC are probably the best suppliers in the UK as a generalisation. CPC is part of Farnell.
what's would cause it to go wrong if not a transistor failure do other bits die of old age ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2017, 07:47 PM   #15
ohdsp is offline ohdsp
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
If you need output transistors for a Cyrus one I am running *13009 devices in several Cyrus One's; STW13009 (obsolete) in a TOG model and FJP13009 in a Issue 06. The FJP13009 are dead cheap and better ratings. FJA13009 may work in TOG models as "uprated" devices.
__________________
Check out the Open Hardware DSP Platform:
http://www.ohdsp.org - http://github.com/ohdsp

Last edited by ohdsp; 9th December 2017 at 07:53 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2017, 07:49 PM   #16
amptech is offline amptech  Scotland
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Glasgow
Send a message via MSN to amptech
Quote:
Originally Posted by randombeliefs View Post
thanks very much. i am trying to learn but it's hard to know where to start and at what point you know enough to have a go
Hello there,

Most of us here have been in the service trade for many a year and getting started on such topics can cost a high price if things go wrong plus you get zapped along the way!

Basic ohms law help's with working out volts current and resistances. Followed by test equipment use, meters for checking and how to carry out live testing.

Try a small chip amplifier ie tda2030 this gives 10 to 18 watts and very easy to build.

There are plenty of audio file books or even on line info and remember electrical saftey at all times.


Good luck with things
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2017, 07:54 PM   #17
randombeliefs is offline randombeliefs  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
i think it's issue 07. it has the cast heatsink integral to the base and the balance control but no toggle switch yet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2017, 08:02 PM   #18
randombeliefs is offline randombeliefs  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdsp View Post
If you need output transistors for a Cyrus one I am running *13009 devices in several Cyrus One's; STW13009 (obsolete) in a TOG model and FJP13009 in a Issue 06. The FJP13009 are dead cheap and better ratings. FJA13009 may work in TOG models as "uprated" devices.
would BUV48A work ? can't seem to find 13009.
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2017, 08:04 PM   #19
randombeliefs is offline randombeliefs  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by amptech View Post
Hello there,

Most of us here have been in the service trade for many a year and getting started on such topics can cost a high price if things go wrong plus you get zapped along the way!

Basic ohms law help's with working out volts current and resistances. Followed by test equipment use, meters for checking and how to carry out live testing.

Try a small chip amplifier ie tda2030 this gives 10 to 18 watts and very easy to build.

There are plenty of audio file books or even on line info and remember electrical saftey at all times.


Good luck with things
I would prefer he send it to ARS for a full service personally, but he can't afford to. Basically if i can't fix it she just has to do without. Which is looking likely ! reading up as best I can ...
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2017, 08:06 PM   #20
ohdsp is offline ohdsp
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by randombeliefs View Post
would BUV48A work ? can't seem to find 13009.
I believe the Cyrus PT7 (Cyrus One and early Two) is the BUV28 and the PT77 (later Cyrus Two) are BUV48.

If the BUV48 fits your version it will work; even if the device is bigger than the original.
__________________
Check out the Open Hardware DSP Platform:
http://www.ohdsp.org - http://github.com/ohdsp
  Reply With Quote

Reply


cyrus 1 output transistor question. push-pull?Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
6l6 push pull output question(s) Bas van Dijk Tubes / Valves 26 30th September 2017 09:00 PM
General Class D push pull amp output question Chris Wilson Class D 11 24th April 2017 12:44 PM
Push-Pull fixed bias and output power question LATUBEGEEK Instruments and Amps 30 27th February 2015 02:55 PM
Question: Acceptable DC current in push-pull output transformer due to tube mismatch? EWong Tubes / Valves 44 30th April 2014 11:08 PM
Push Pull Output Stage Question 316a Tubes / Valves 4 10th February 2003 01:04 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:24 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.00%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio
Wiki