Cascading diamond buffers - a cheap low THD 10W amp with TIP41C

Some people have very good ability to hear distortion. Most people are in the -21dB category. Here’s a nice tear by Klippel. Use good headphones and a quiet room at night.

Listening Test

Give me a break. The listening test uses mp3 files!
<param name="initParams" value="soundAName=linearexample.mp3,soundBName=12dBexample.mp3" />

What do mp3 encoders do? They discard unneeded details. Like distortion, for example. And the bitrate of the mp3 files? See attachment below.

To seriously listen for low level distortion, try 24/96.

Attachments

• Bitrate.jpg
    Bitrate.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
I think the hearing damage that will ensue from long term exposure to 90dB noise will ensure we don’t hear the distortion at 0dB. I absolutely know I can’t hear the difference between 0.01% and 0.001%. I’d be very surprised if I could hear the difference between 0.1% and 0.01%.
If your 0.1% is second and/or third harmonic, then I agree you probably can't tell the difference between 0.01% and 0.1% THD of low harmonics.

But it is completely different when there is crossover distortion.
I belive it has to do with the spectral divison of the overtones. Higher, odd ones is nasty - and detectable at really low levels.

//
0.1% of crossover distortion with lots of odd harmonics and most of them above the 5th, it is very easy to dislike 0.1% of crossover distortion and many will even dislike 0.01% of crossover distortion compared to 0.01% of low harmonic distortion.

Last edited:
What are the chances of seeing a .1% or .01% aberration on an 8-bit scope?
IIRC, Earl Geddes said to the effect that anybody could hear .01% of some types of distortion. And crossover distortion is one of the worst, associated with the high order harmonic content.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Give me a break. The listening test uses mp3 files!
<param name="initParams" value="soundAName=linearexample.mp3,soundBName=12dBexample.mp3" />

What do mp3 encoders do? They discard unneeded details. Like distortion, for example. And the bitrate of the mp3 files? See attachment below.

To seriously listen for low level distortion, try 24/96.

Yet some people can hear the low levels of distortion. The test asks the same question several ways so it can't be blind chance.

MP3 can use up to 32 frequency banks to define a sound stream, the content being compressed and lost is not always the distortion because the distortion is information, not blanks/zeros/repeated numbers etc. But if you don't believe it, don't. Klippel is no dum dum of a company.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I don't think it's the level of harmonic distortion we hear that is maybe unpleasant. I've made big improvements to equipment that reduced THD by a small amount. The difference in sound quality was larger than the numbers would suggest. What I do see changing are the residuals from the THD meter (HP 339A in my case) as seen on a spectrum analyser. A chip amp can sound completely different to a discrete amplifier or a tube amplifier and have very similar THD numbers. Suzy, your 3585B should show this easily if you hang it off a distortion analyser.

-Chris

I totally agree that the type of harmonic distortion is important, probably more so than just the absolute THD number.

Here is the FFT of an Aksa Lender driving 2.0Vpp into 50ohms (title incorrectly says 1vpp):
657054d1516060213-aksas-lender-preamp-40vpp-ouput-gb-aksa-lender-hpa-130ma-1-0vpp-50hms-png

In the above graph, note that distortion is predominantly 2nd and third order with third lower than second - a pleasant sounding profile despite it being 3.5x higher THD than another amp (shown below) that is DC coupled and uses push pull and current feedback topology with only 0.002% THD, but the harmonic content is over higher orders and third is higher than second. IMO, doesn't sound as good even though lower in THD:
657126d1516090016-aksas-lender-preamp-40vpp-output-m3-2-0vpp-50ohms-fft-jpg

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Suzyj,
Very nice compact design. Those are some very nice THD figures you have and I would love to see the harmonic distortion profile to see where the H2/H3/H4/H5 etc distribution is. Can I ask why you did not use SOT23 for the TO92's and perhaps SOT223 for the TO247's? It would have been a slick flat SMT package then. You could even make it on metal core PCB and bolt the whole thing to a heatsink for higher power operation.

656441d1515797769-cascading-diamond-buffers-cheap-low-thd-10w-amp-tip41c-img_0195-jpg

MP3 can use up to 32 frequency banks to define a sound stream, the content being compressed and lost is not always the distortion because the distortion is information, not blanks/zeros/repeated numbers etc. But if you don't believe it, don't. Klippel is no dum dum of a company.

The files may sound a little different, but I don't see how the amount of distortion can remain calibrated or known after conversion to mp3, which is a lossy type of compression. Especially, low bitrate 127kbps which requires discarding a significant amount of information to reduce file size. The best that can be done without information loss may be Monkey's Audio compression which is lossless and can compress audio up to about 50%.

Also, I don't think Klippel is a dummy, but his website designer or somebody over there might be.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The files may sound a little different, but I don't see how the amount of distortion can remain calibrated or known after conversion to mp3, which is a lossy type of compression. Especially, low bitrate 127kbps which requires discarding a significant amount of information to reduce file size. The best that can be done without information loss may be Monkey's Audio compression which is lossless and can compress audio up to about 50%.

Also, I don't think Klippel is a dummy, but his website designer or somebody over there might be.

+1

//

Suzyj,
Very nice compact design. Those are some very nice THD figures you have and I would love to see the harmonic distortion profile to see where the H2/H3/H4/H5 etc distribution is. Can I ask why you did not use SOT23 for the TO92's and perhaps SOT223 for the TO247's? It would have been a slick flat SMT package then. You could even make it on metal core PCB and bolt the whole thing to a heatsink for higher power operation.

Attached incredibly early not well calibrated dodgy (did I mention they're early) measurements of 1KHz THD into a 47 ohm load with no heatsink.

I'm badly noise limited, which is making the measurements harder than they could be. Also I'm finding that unless I run my oscillator at the point where I'm about to run out of loop gain, the oscillator harmonics dominate.

Not that I'm complaining, mind. Hard to measure is my goal :)

Attached piccie of my spreadsheet, plus plot of 2.5V RMS into my spec-an, both with and without 1KHz notch, which knocks my fundamental down ~50dB.

If I reduce loading on the amp (increase load resistor from 47 Ohms to 1K) the harmonics drop into the noise floor. I'm thinking (given that it's predominantly H2) that I'm suffering due to the output transistors not being in thermal contact with one another.

So it needs a heatsink, or at least some metalwork to ensure the output transistors are at the same temp.

Like I said, early, dodgy measurements. I'm waiting on boards for a new source that will hopefully make this process easier.

I've gone off SOT23s a bit of late, as I find they don't save as much PCB real estate as I'd like. TO-92's are quick and easy to deal with, plus they include a via for every pin.

My goals for this amp are something that's easy to build as well as performing well, as I'll probably be making a fair number for line arrays and such forth.

Attachments

• DSC_1428.jpg
    DSC_1428.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 342
  • DSC_1429.jpg
    DSC_1429.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 299
  • 5W Cascaded diamond 1KHz 47 Ohm THD - No heatsink.png
    5W Cascaded diamond 1KHz 47 Ohm THD - No heatsink.png
    123.5 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
About cooling, I saw this heatsink I planned to use before, maybe it can hold 2 boards, has a T profile in. Maybe too big. Im not sure if it is widely available, because I couldn't find the maker.]

I've been running a pair of SB12PFC-4 (12cm 4 ohm mid-woofer in my noiseUnit speakers) for a few days playing music in my study with these, with no heatsink, to see how they fare. Haven't blown them up yet, despite the occasional complaint about the volume from my husband.

I'm wondering if perhaps given that transistors are cheaper than heatsinks, the solution is simply to have many output drivers and no heatsink.

Last edited:
If net efficiency stays the same, then you should produce the same amount of heat with more transistors. Where would the heat go without a heat sink?

Output drive current capability for this board is essentially down to output transistor gain, number of output stages and quiescent current per output stage. If I double the number of output stages I can halve the quiescent current per stage for the same output current capability. The heat associated with that quiescent current is now dissipated across twice as many devices

overall heat dissipation under load is independent of number of transistors, so by increasing the number of transistors you're decreasing the heat each one needs to dissipate.

Essentially more transistors = more heatsinking area - the transistors themselves are little heatsinks.

Transistor plastic cases probably don't conduct heat as well as aluminum fins, or have as much thermal mass to possibly help handle transient heat loads. Also, they would need to have sufficient airflow similar to fins. With a heat sink it could be exposed on the back of a speaker cabinet, say, something people sometimes do.

Last edited:
Yes, very good point. I think the rationalle behind using a heatsink vs using more transistors depends on what overall power level we're wanting to do. At 5W it's unclear as to what's optimum.

Regarding THD with more drivers, adding more drivers increases capacitance, putting more demands on the stage driving it. Slew rate will decrease, all other things being equal. Whether that increases THD will depend on whether it's the slew rate that's dictating THD.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Suzi,
Could be. But then, what does the capacitance look like on the larger devices? Forced air cooling would help, but then you've created a small vacuum cleaner. Filter bags anyone?

Using a metal cored PCB gets away from DIY a bit. You could use a bunch of TO-126 cases (or similar) lined up in two rows that would fit a square section of aluminium tube down each side. Cheap heat sink while retaining the multiple output transistors. Higher power.

-Chris