Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Cascading diamond buffers - a cheap low THD 10W amp with TIP41C
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2018, 01:48 PM   #281
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Semola,
I'm sorry you felt I was aggressive, but I was merely matching what I perceived was the tone of your post. The views I felt were those of someone who reads the popular press in audiophile land and were unwarranted. It seemed like you made your mind up without any understanding of the circuit that was presented.

Had you posed your comments as questions, you would have received an explanation instead of what I posted. Keep in mind that whatever you post will be read by people who are experts in the field, and also others like yourself who have other expertise but not in audio design. We don't want to further myths, but rather have an opportunity to learn.

One reason these "Diamond buffer" circuits are popular is that they are blazingly fast while also having low distortion. The signal is distorted by the first transistor stage as is normal, while the output stage in the diamond distorts it in a complementary way, which tends to undo the distortion caused by the input stage. The actual diamond formation consists of only four transistors in the audio path.

There are diamond buffers produced as an IC in one package, and have been for years. The BUF634 is one good example of this. To gain some understanding, why not look up this part's data sheet? You will see the actual diamond buffer along with some support circuitry. But by reading the specs you will gain some insight into the capabilities of this design.

-Chris

Cascading diamond buffers - a cheap low THD 10W amp with TIP41CHide this!Advertise here!