Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Cheap amp that's not junk?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2017, 02:07 AM   #1
Nickg0523 is offline Nickg0523  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Cheap amp that's not junk?

I have a cheap 15$ 25+25w amp from amazon running Dayton rs100-8s (30w) I'm looking to get a new amp. This one isn't very good (go figure). I am also getting a Dayton sub-800 (80w). I've seen the Lepai 2020TI (20w) but would that be enough power to not be overcome by the sub? If it's too low what amp should I get? 40$>. Thanks

Amazon.com: TDA7492P Bluetooth 4.0 Amplifier Board, 25W + 25W Dual Channel Wireless Digital Audio Receiver 50 Watt AMP Module: Home Audio & Theater
Old 6th December 2017, 02:26 AM   #2
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Get the TDA7498 for the sub and a TDA8293 for the tops. Or TPa3116 for the tops. If you really want a lot of power get IRS2092 200w for $15

200W IRS2092 Amp for $20
Old 6th December 2017, 02:44 AM   #3
Soldermizer is offline Soldermizer  United States
diyAudio Member

How about the Behringer ... er ... never mind
Old 6th December 2017, 04:18 PM   #4
indianajo is offline indianajo  United States
diyAudio Member

That linked board doesn't even have an IC on the edge of the board where you could put a heat sink on it. No heat sink, no real power. ***, I started with 35 W/ch + car radio speakers in a cardboard box. They were real watts, a vacuum tube amp with four 6CA7's. The electrolytic caps were **** and the rectifier tube was weak, wattage was 7 in the beginning, the McIntosh salesman told me. Pieced it together on the $10 a month plan. Used a $5 radio shack meter. Rake leaves or shovel snow for cash, you're young.
A naked board will pick up radio from transmitters. You need an enclosure, and some sort of input/output filtering, at least where I live.
Best bargain is a busted PA amp with case, fan, heat sinks, maybe even the power transformer is no burnt. $40+29 freight yesterday on fleabay. Then rebuild it.
Even cheaper is a working 60's organ, pull the amp and trash the keys. $20 at the charity resale shop. Still need e-caps though, maybe not until next month.
Takes a DVM and maybe an analog VOM to debug your work. Some of those $1 Harbor freight DVM work, my friend has a good one. Plus a soldering iron, not HF, about $40 in tools. Use safety glasses to solder, it splashes. When done, you know much more. Takes patience though.
This is diyaudio. You want power, build a honeybadger kit up in the diyaudiostore in the bar. A junk PA amp is still the cheapest case, fan, heatsinks though.

Last edited by indianajo; 6th December 2017 at 04:38 PM.
Old 6th December 2017, 04:28 PM   #5
CharlieLaub is offline CharlieLaub  United States
diyAudio Member

The best sounding "cheap" amp is probably the LM3886.

A TA2022 amp (Topping TP60) is available from PE for $179, or look on Ebay maybe. This has a good reputation.

Also, there is a current thread about an amp that uses the TPA3250 here:
TPA 3250 somebody is listening ?
You might give that a look.
Old 6th December 2017, 10:57 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I should clarify I would prefer one that isn't just the circuit board. Im hoping to find one with the steel or plastic shell around the actual board. US TPA3116 2*50W+100W 2.1 ClassD NE5532 Digital Amplifier Board With Steel Shell | eBay Would something like this be a good idea? Or is it too risky to by unbranded from eBay...
Old 7th December 2017, 12:05 AM   #7
indianajo is offline indianajo  United States
diyAudio Member

mcmelectronics.com items have performed well for me. Same sources as ebay, but somehow farnell's QA people screen out the trash. E-bay star ratings aren't worth **** to me, if the stuff looks like the picture, was delivered on time, and performs for a week the vendor gets 5 stars. There are lots of ways to cut costs & make electronic systems blow up in a month. The prevalence of amps on e-bay without package and heat sink is prima-facae evidence of the "buy trash now" desire of the customers. I'm trying to buy bare boards today, all I get in the search are naked chip amps with no heat sinks.
I buy all my TV accessories at mcm now. TVs are not worth repairing; there are hundreds of short life electrolytic caps in each one. You can get a good TV at a chain store, but not the roof antenna, dtv converter, or gadgets to drive it from your PC. My 10 year old Advent TV is failing from the cold today; needs 200 e-caps probably. The DTV converter I bought from mcm to drive it has lasted 5 years, main quibble is the time is always 9 minutes off.
mcm sells packaged amps, presumably with the RF screening I was talking about above. check out their website. another mail order retailer with good repute is parts-express.com. Just got my first order from them; it was okay, but components. I haven't purchased systems from them yet.

Last edited by indianajo; 7th December 2017 at 12:14 AM.
Old 7th December 2017, 01:28 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Does anyone know anything about Drok? I see it all over Amazon but nowhere else. Amazon.com: Digital HiFi Stereo 2.0 Power Amplifier Home Mini Audio Amplifier Professional Dual-channel 50W+50W DC8-25V with High&Low Volume Control System: Home & Kitchen
Old 7th December 2017, 02:13 AM   #9
CharlieLaub is offline CharlieLaub  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianajo View Post
mcmelectronics.com items have performed well for me. ... I buy all my TV accessories at mcm now. ... check out their website.
Yah, have YOU checked out their website???

MCM is out of business, taken over by Newark. You're SOL I am afraid.
Old 7th December 2017, 02:57 AM   #10
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

From repeated Experience: Lepai is Komplete JUNK!
But Hey! you can learn all this for yourself.. If you must

Cheap amp that's not junk?Hide this!Advertise here!