Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Cheap amp that's not junk?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2017, 03:16 AM   #11
indianajo is offline indianajo  United States
diyAudio Member

mcm is newark is farnell. mcm is the consumer brand with more systems & less parts. Newark ships out of SC, mcm ships out of OH. Expect with the new website, that more confusion about how many boxes @ $9 each you just ordered will multiply. That's the reason I don't buy from jameco; order $30 of parts get two boxes at $20 freight.
Old 7th December 2017, 03:22 AM   #12
CharlieLaub is offline CharlieLaub  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianajo View Post
mcm is newark is farnell. mcm is the consumer brand with more systems & less parts. Newark ships out of SC, mcm ships out of OH. Expect with the new website, that more confusion about how many boxes @ $9 each you just ordered will multiply. That's the reason I don't buy from jameco; order $30 of parts get two boxes at $20 freight.
IS MCM local to you? I thought they were closing their doors and laying off the employees, or at least that was what I thought I read on PE TT late this past summer. Now that the "transition" is done, does still MCM exist, just as a subsidiary of Newark??? I have ordered from MCM in the past, but I thought those times were 'over'. I would be interested to know the skinny on the situation...
Old 7th December 2017, 03:28 AM   #13
indianajo is offline indianajo  United States
diyAudio Member

I can get 1 day service ground rates from both if I order by 10 AM. You may be right, scanning the newark all products list I don't see any listing for assembled amplifiers or TV antennas or converters.
mcm owned the TV accessories market, IMHO, no 2nd source. I've gotten real **** from Best Buy, and the last time I was in there the salesmen couldn't get the "sale sale" tablet to boot up either. And Radio Shack has been all garbage since 1968, a long tradition of garbage & fraud.
Edit, okay, the mcm stuff is under security & audio-visual
Here is an amplifier that OP could buy with some assurance it woulnn't blow up in a month http://www.newark.com/stellar-labs/5...x-2/dp/95Y2921
And here is a TV tuner that puts out analog line level sound on RCA jacks, for $30, a lot cheaper than those under TV sound units with the patented digital link that sanyo is selling for their vile sounding flat TV's. http://www.newark.com/qfx/cv-103/dig...er/dp/31AC3160
Although I own and recommend the Stellar Labs DTV converter. 2 each two locations, one 30 miles from the transmitter.

Last edited by indianajo; 7th December 2017 at 03:44 AM.
Old 7th December 2017, 05:00 PM   #14
Muskrat54 is offline Muskrat54
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianajo View Post
I can get 1 day service ground rates from both if I order by 10 AM. You may be right, scanning the newark all products list I don't see any listing for assembled amplifiers or TV antennas or converters.
mcm owned the TV accessories market, IMHO, no 2nd source. I've gotten real **** from Best Buy, and the last time I was in there the salesmen couldn't get the "sale sale" tablet to boot up either. And Radio Shack has been all garbage since 1968, a long tradition of garbage & fraud.
Edit, okay, the mcm stuff is under security & audio-visual
Here is an amplifier that OP could buy with some assurance it woulnn't blow up in a month http://www.newark.com/stellar-labs/5...x-2/dp/95Y2921
And here is a TV tuner that puts out analog line level sound on RCA jacks, for $30, a lot cheaper than those under TV sound units with the patented digital link that sanyo is selling for their vile sounding flat TV's. http://www.newark.com/qfx/cv-103/dig...er/dp/31AC3160
Although I own and recommend the Stellar Labs DTV converter. 2 each two locations, one 30 miles from the transmitter.
I was looking on their site, seems to me they are selling off mcm stock already not finding familiar items. Some stuff you have to search different ways
Old 7th December 2017, 06:17 PM   #15
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Indeed looks like the whole MCM product lineup has been ported over to Newark.

One click back into amplifiers shows an extensive MCM custom amp lineup:
http://www.newark.com/c/security-aud...ies/amplifiers

The venerable $27 MCM 55-2421 8in 4-ohm subwoofer driver that has powered many a DIY subwoofer is here:
http://www.newark.com/mcm-audio-sele...ms/dp/88C7835?

Cheap amp that's not junk?Hide this!Advertise here!