Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Reasons Of Oscillations In Audio Amplifiers And Best Ways Of Elimination
Reasons Of Oscillations In Audio Amplifiers And Best Ways Of Elimination
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2018, 11:33 AM   #261
AndriyOL is offline AndriyOL  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjona View Post
I have been looking at square wave testing. The dc offset in the attached .asc file is +14 mV. The circuit does require an output coil to be stable.
This is SE, no balanced input?
Perhaps we need to connect signal source like this? But cold input isn't a return for hot input. Than there should be return from differential signal source?
Maybe that version distorts if the signal to the cold input is in opposite phase to the hot input because of absence of return?
Attached Files
File Type: asc SSAHP kplus dual siggen sim3.asc (26.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 14th January 2018, 10:03 PM   #262
mjona is offline mjona  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndriyOL View Post
This is SE, no balanced input?
Perhaps we need to connect signal source like this? But cold input isn't a return for hot input. Than there should be return from differential signal source?
Maybe that version distorts if the signal to the cold input is in opposite phase to the hot input because of absence of return?
It is clear from my simulations that this circuit performs better when the hot and cold input signals are in the same phase. The reasons for the deficiency with opposite phase were given by keantoken in post 182 on page 19 - re impacts on the nfb due to R2 and R4 forming an alternative decoupling route to earth.

This increases the closed loop gain significantly and reduces the feedback factor a situation that does not arise with identical input phase signals on hot and cold.

With signals on hot and cold inputs with the same voltage but opposite in phase the THD is about 2%.

Looking at the circuit from a different viewpoint - in the positive rail half R2, R3, and R17 all share a common supply rail with Q1 and Q12 sharing the same configuration.

In the case of identical phase input signals on the hot and cold terminals an increase in a negative going signal will cause Q1 and Q12 to draw more current.

On the opposite side of the circuit this will cause Q2 and Q13 to draw less current. The cycle reverses when the input signal goes negative.

Importantly the current flow through all these transistors does not cut off in their push pull action.

When the signal inputs to hot and cold are in opposite phase the action becomes partial push-pull with zones where the above transistors will work in opposition to the point of becoming cut off.

This has been illustrated before in some of my earlier posts - you can refresh some of these images in SPICE to see this again.

I have looked at a method to change the circuit so it will operate with balanced inputs - but the simulation says THD is 0.3% which is senseless in view of the performance indicated with the same phase signals on hot and cold inputs. The figure 0.3% raises the question how stable is it?

At some point one has to call a halt in doing simulations - I have to return to my care obligations so I will be taking a break from DIY for a while.

In the meantime good luck with your endeavours.
Old 14th January 2018, 11:59 PM   #263
diyAudio Member

Maybe someone on this forum will find the solution to use balanced inputs with decent THD.
In case of SE, this one should perform better.

Many thanks Mjona for your help and support. Take care of your wife.

Best Regards.
Attached Files
File Type: asc SSAHP kplus siggen sim4.asc (25.3 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by AndriyOL; 15th January 2018 at 12:03 AM.
Old 16th January 2018, 06:10 AM   #264
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Maybe someone on this forum will find the solution to use balanced inputs with decent THD.
In case of SE, this one should perform better.

Many thanks Mjona for your help and support. Take care of your wife.

Best Regards.
Yes I will be doing that for six weeks - unfortunately your simulation does not have a load at the output - with 8R in place it is unstable.

I have gone back to the original circuit to see why you had problems with the dc offset adjustment knowing also that a lot of the circuit has been assumed to be correct.

The values for R10 and R11 were 2.2k in the version of the circuit running 60 volt rails in association with these. A value of 750R was substituted for 45 volt rails.

That does not help the coarse adjustment of 100R trim pot pairs to accuracy of an Ohm or less. If the resistance of either is set too high there will be a kink in the form of a sine wave.

It is possible this finicky business is responsible for what you were seeing on your 'scope .

In fact the circuit will work whichever way those CCS transistors are oriented on the pcb - I have done some further simulations - now attached.

One of these is a 10 kHz square wave test with the merged section in the nfb line with a step response capacitor in parallel. In this alternative there is no overshoot in the wave before the output coil.

The ripples after the coil represent the selection of capacitors from 10n to 2uF in one shot.

With the original network as used in the 1kHz sine wave test simulation - there is a single overshoot which many would overlook - but overall the amplifier should be stable with reactive loads and it will be convenient not to alter your pcb.

I cannot give you any good news about achieving balanced operation.
I see some place in the original authors commentary mention of bridging stereo pairs to increase power output?

Anyway, if the dc adjustment is correctly set the original configuration has the lower THD result.

I have changed the emitter resistor values to those given by Lazy Cat and set the current to give close to 27 mV across these.
Old 16th January 2018, 10:13 AM   #265
diyAudio Member

It's stable with 8R load if to increase Cdom caps on drivers to 150pF. However the most important to know why the schematic require so big cdom to be stable? I think in SE config we can remove small VAS transistors, maybe it will become more stable with lower value compensation.
DC offset I had before was because of different characteristics of NPN PNP transistors causing asymmetry in operation. That's why values on R8 R9 are not equal.
2.2K for R10 R11 was a mistake i think. If to check other designer's schematic, as well as other people similar ssa projects, these current set resistors were different values (1-1.5K for SE) which should provide enough current for ssa bridge to maintain stable 15V potential on zeners.
With these pots I can set the DC offset within 1-5mV range easily.
I also tried to simulate it with different ccs orientation, the best opt thd-wise for SE use like the original orientation.
What do you mean by "I see some place in the original authors commentary mention of bridging stereo pairs to increase power output?" I don't need bridging or increase power output. 3 output pairs should provide plenty of power I guess.

Last edited by AndriyOL; 16th January 2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 16th January 2018, 02:54 PM   #266
diyAudio Member

I have omitted R39 R40 (2R2) as they are not required. thd is unbelievable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fft.jpg (102.9 KB, 26 views)
Attached Files
File Type: asc SSAHP kplus siggen sim4.asc (25.2 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by AndriyOL; 16th January 2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 17th January 2018, 02:28 AM   #267
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It's stable with 8R load if to increase Cdom caps on drivers to 150pF. However the most important to know why the schematic require so big cdom to be stable? I think in SE config we can remove small VAS transistors, maybe it will become more stable with lower value compensation.
DC offset I had before was because of different characteristics of NPN PNP transistors causing asymmetry in operation. That's why values on R8 R9 are not equal.
2.2K for R10 R11 was a mistake i think. If to check other designer's schematic, as well as other people similar ssa projects, these current set resistors were different values (1-1.5K for SE) which should provide enough current for ssa bridge to maintain stable 15V potential on zeners.
With these pots I can set the DC offset within 1-5mV range easily.
I also tried to simulate it with different ccs orientation, the best opt thd-wise for SE use like the original orientation.
What do you mean by "I see some place in the original authors commentary mention of bridging stereo pairs to increase power output?"
This simulation is of the earlier circuit which does not purport to be balanced so the last question is not relevant.

More to the point there is a problem with the output stage current consumption in this.

Some small changes in this circuit can have a disproportionate affect on performance results.

For instance a small change could upset the dc offset, or increase the THD, or reduce the circuit stability.

Anyway I have done a pair of simulations one of THD and one of square wave performance.

By this means I was able to cross check the results on two fronts by making the same change in each simulation - taking things one step at a time.

I have checked the square wave simulation with a variety of capacitors in parallel with 8R with varying signal input levels monitoring the result at node n20 - I have seen circuit simulations where a malfunction occurs at a low level input signal level.

I don't have the time to fine tune at length - the dc offset is 22 mV

The file is attached for reference purposes.
Attached Files
File Type: asc SSAHP LCshortsquare version.asc (25.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 17th January 2018, 02:43 AM   #268
diyAudio Member

Default LC Sinewave simulation

This shows fft THD with various capacitor parallel loads
Attached Images
File Type: png LCShortsine fft THD.PNG (216.6 KB, 20 views)

Reasons Of Oscillations In Audio Amplifiers And Best Ways Of EliminationHide this!Advertise here!