Which classic amps are good value at about £250 or so?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Which classic amps are good value at about £250...or a bit more maybe?
Having had a 33/303 for a while, I'm wondering what else might be a good alternative...and preferably a reliable one, too. I've noticed certain amps go in and out of fashion (I'm using a back NAD 7020 at the moment which cost me £5), so I'm keen to know about an unfashionable bargain.

Speakerwise, I'm using Monitor Audios which are a bit strong on the treble, and the Quad seems to work OK with them, I'm assuming due to it being a softer sound itself.

Any suggestions welcome!

I've just re-visited a Bailey 30W design from 1968. Using modern transistors (BD139/BD140, and 2N3055/MJ2955 outputs (yes, these old workhorses, but epitaxial 2N3055) the THD was disappearing into the noise at 1kHz and 1W (<-85dB) and rising to ~0.1% at 20kHz and 30W. What is good about this design is that it has phase-lead compensation, reducing the hf distortion and slew-induced distortion of Miller compensation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.