Honey Badger vs SKA GB150D vs VHex+

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Instead of Hawking someone else's product, I'll try answering your question. I have build both the honey badger and the ska. The ska is a far easier build and sounds very nice. It's on the warm side and a bit soft in the higher frequencies, easy to listen to. The honey has many more parts, it sounds great, good control from top to bottom, sounds cooler, lots of HF detail, runs hot. I still have my ska, had a hiss issue with my honey that I couldn't figures out. Ended up cannibalizing it to build Pass Class A amp, no contest, low power but sounds better than either to my ears.

Build an amp where you have backup to help you in need. The V-hex guy's will ensure that your amp will play!:)
It is sorry that Pete is not here right now cause the badger seems to be a very good amp, although there will be other to help you. I think that the SKA is a lateral mosfet design. Very good. I have build a similar one that still sounds very good. My bet is the Vhex !

Last edited:
The VHex amps are simpler amplifiers but still achieve very good measurements and excellent non-coloured sound. They are designed to operate in the 100W range of output power with an 8R load. They can run from very simple supplies. In our normal configuration we run two simple power supplies from a common transformer. These don't have built in protection or softstart, but we have a system designed to operate with these amps. These amps are also very immune to external noise so installing them in a chassis and getting excellent results with very low noise is quite simple.

The NS series amps are much larger and much more complicated. They are designed to operate in the 150W+ range with versions that will safely produce 600W and handle 2R loading. These measure considerably better than the VHex amps but a lot more attention to detail is required. They have on board DC detection, speaker relays, temps sensing, ect but require an external control board to operate the protection systems. There require dedicated supplies for each channel. The input stages each have their own regulated supplies. The control boards take care of soft starting, ect.

I happen to have a RB-980BX. I much prefer either of these two amps over it. Detail is better than the Rotel and you always get a sense of when the Rotel turns on. The Rotel background noise is low but you always know it's there. Both the VHex and NS series amps don't give you this sensation. You don't realize they are on until music begins playing. The sound stage isn't as wide in the Rotel either. It has noticeably more cross talk between channels.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.