Can someone help with Mark Levinson JC-2?

Hi all, wild try... I'm in need of a "Class a phono preamp" for my ML1. It is the exact same as the JC-2.

My ML1 works prefectly except I can't connect the phono. And I like it much. I never bought a piece of audio that worth that much. Noticed I've paid $500 for it but I knew there was a problem with it. Finally found this was it. Only the cables I got with it worth that $500... CAMAC ADAPTORS WORTH A FORTUNE!!!

So I'm ready to compensate, exchange (I have a lot of vintage gear) or almost anything... to get a working phono module.

Regards,

Dear Hifi fans

I am new in Diyaudio and look for help of my JC-2 and find this wonderful website.

I have an old Mark Levinson JC-2 from my dad almost 25 years ago. BUt the one of the line driver module is not working now. Really want to replace if not too expensive. But no more stock avlaible in authorised dealer of Mark Levinson in Hong Kong. Any one can help? Any advise is thankful and appreicated.

Ken1967

Dear Ken1967,

would you please help to check the JC2 phono mudule 6 pins connection.I have gotten 2pcs of this module.I plan to do some testing.I would like to know which pins for power supply and which pins for input/output. You help or comments will be great appreciate.

BR
Leo

Attachments

• module.jpg
    module.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 528
Hello Elso, are you making replacement modules? If so, have you tried the AD-797 yet? That would be my first choice for an IC replacement. Someone should make replacement modules. The chassis of the Levinson JC-2 should last virtually forever, but unfortunately some of the plastic parts that we originally used had an active ingredient that slowly ate through the glass passivation layer over time.
This design is over 30 years old, so it deserves to be upgraded.
PS The power supply module is only a pair of complementary cap multipliers in order to lower the power supply noise. It suffered from potential xtalk, because of its relatively high output impedance, (a few ohms) and parallel connection to both channels. It took me years to discover this problem:xeye:
Dear John Curl,
As a long time fan of the JC-2 and LNP-2 preamps I want to know if the Line and phono modules are the same and maybe so for ML-1 ?

If so I (we) can help some people in providing the Line amp modules. I have one set in my own JC-2 and the result is awesome. We followed the Original schematics and this threat here. I have the modules running a few weeks now and it is getting even better then when newly installed.
Do you mind that we offer these on a kind of non commercial basis to other JC-2 and LNP2 lovers? We will provide even for a years guarantee on the finished boards.
Nice to hear from you.
Greetings,

MarioGert Rouwenhorst
Netherlands

Dear John Curl,
As a long time fan of the JC-2 and LNP-2 preamps I want to know if the Line and phono modules are the same and maybe so for ML-1 ?

If so I (we) can help some people in providing the Line amp modules. I have one set in my own JC-2 and the result is awesome. We followed the Original schematics and this threat here. I have the modules running a few weeks now and it is getting even better then when newly installed.
Do you mind that we offer these on a kind of non commercial basis to other JC-2 and LNP2 lovers? We will provide even for a years guarantee on the finished boards.
Nice to hear from you.
Greetings,

MarioGert Rouwenhorst
Netherlands

Attachments

• Line-amp.jpg
    Line-amp.jpg
    980.6 KB · Views: 442
The boards look great. Are you waiting for JC to approve before selling? I don't think he would mind but doesn't Mark Levinson own the rights? I'm sure they don't care since they have released the schematics to the public?

I know but it is basically his (JC) design. PCB is in it's final design stage en we prefer to come up with tested and working boards, ready to plug in.
Would like to learn more about the LNP-2 wether the phono and line preamp modules in these are actually the same (design wise).
We need more Toshiba fets though and we only will offer some modules when ready and thoroughly tested in a JC-2 or ML-1 !

You have my permission to do what you like.
Now, there IS a difference between the JC-2 and the LMP-2 line amps. The first LMP-2's used IC's (inside the modules) and they required much less current to operate. Therefore the power supplies for the LMP2's was only 100ma. The JC-2 required a 300ma power supply. Please note LMP2's power supply capacity when making modules to suit.

I know but it is basically his (JC) design. PCB is in it's final design stage en we prefer to come up with tested and working boards, ready to plug in.
Would like to learn more about the LNP-2 wether the phono and line preamp modules in these are actually the same (design wise).
We need more Toshiba fets though and we only will offer some modules when ready and thoroughly tested in a JC-2 or ML-1 !

Cool but there's a few people offering completed modules for high prices. It would be nice to be able to buy boards and populate them ourselves or you supply the components. I realize of course you have put time and effort into refining the modules and should be reasonably compensated.

You have my permission to do what you like.
Now, there IS a difference between the JC-2 and the LMP-2 line amps. The first LMP-2's used IC's (inside the modules) and they required much less current to operate. Therefore the power supplies for the LMP2's was only 100ma. The JC-2 required a 300ma power supply. Please note LMP2's power supply capacity when making modules to suit.

:)
Dear John Curl,
thank you for your very positive response. I now have my new boards making music for me and these sound very well. I discover new little details in musical expression compared to my vintage Treshold preamp.
One thing with the boards is that the fets are not easy to obtain and soundwise it is not easy to find an acceptable alternative.
Also I think it is best for most JC-2 and ML-1 owners to have a fully tested and correctly adjusted module to just plug in their preamps and enjoy music again. They can modify by themselves as they wish.

Times are weird if not bad with the Covid / Corona virus so we are on a hold here for most of any activities.
Please keep and stay safe! In due time we will proceed.

MarioGert