Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

My Creek Destiny Power Amp needs repair...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2017, 05:55 PM   #1
dynoPort is offline dynoPort  Wales
diyAudio Member

Unhappy My Creek Destiny Power Amp needs repair...

should I only consider sending it back to the manufactures, or can someone recommend a competent independent repairer? There is no one in my area it will have to be posted.

The fault is that it will not power up. When the mains power switch at the back is pressed the amber LED flashes for about one second then goes off, if the switch is pressed off-on again the LED does not flash unless you wait several minutes then it will flash for one second again.

If anyone knows of this exact fault please let me know, thanks.
Old 13th October 2017, 06:11 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

bump
Old 13th October 2017, 08:06 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

This thing seems to have more protection circuitry than amplifier! I've noticed two poly-fuses very near the mains input, could these explain the LED flash if they had failed?

Creek Destiny power amp - Review [English]

Last edited by dynoPort; 13th October 2017 at 08:09 AM.
Old 13th October 2017, 08:33 AM   #4
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

We would have to see the full service manual to make a judgement. This amp has cropped a few times on the forum and it always seems to be bad news somehow...

You need to measure basics first. If it were me, I would begin by doing a quick 'cold' check of any large semiconductors (including PSU diodes) to make sure no obvious shorts are present.

If that was OK then check the standby supplies to the uProcessor.

Do the main rails to the power amps appear ?

All these things need checking first.

Polyfuses could fail but it is unlikely and would be way down the list. They should be easy to test... if you suspect them then check the voltage into and out of them.If there is a large differential and the fuse is hot then it is probably OK and doing its job. If its cold and with a large drop across it then it could be faulty. Be careful if it is mains on them... which would be poor design if it were but you never know.
Old 13th October 2017, 10:56 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I think if the fault was further down the line the led would be red, I think that power is not getting in very far
Old 13th October 2017, 01:28 PM   #6
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

When fault-finding, it usually pays never to assume anything. Measure and be sure.

My Creek Destiny Power Amp needs repair...Hide this!Advertise here!