How much power do speakers actually consume? (normal listening)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not far ago I attend a hifi presentation there's a room having the Wilson Alexx driven by some CH Precision mono amps. The amps rated 1400W at 4ohm, but there're some UV stuff on the amps' panel, usually appears 2W or 3W, rarely climax raises to 20W but immediately drops to normal. So with smaller speakers (simpler xos than the ones in those big boys'), is it ok to use a good 30W amp? And smaller rooms even requires less power than those big public rooms.

I use my Peavey SP2-XT at about 1.5 Vpp base level in my 14'x33'x11' music room. That is about 1/6 W into 8 ohms. Those speakers are 101 db @ 1 w 1 m. That is very sensitive.
Recorded classical music such as 1812 overture has about a 55 or at the outside 70 db dynamic range. 1/6 w doubled 5 times would be ~ 5 watts.

How many power do speakers actually consume?
from post 1 header.

The speaker consumes about 99% of the power delivered to it.
The remaining 1% comes out as audio, unless it is a high efficiency speaker where you may get 2% as audio or a very high efficiency speaker where maybe 5% comes out as audio.
Extreme efficiency horns can get upto 30% to 50% as audio power, meaning that only 70% to 50% of the input is consumed and thus they run quite a bit cooler and can be driven harder than low efficiency speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.