Yamaha AVX-20 impedance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
On the back of my Yamaha AVX-20 under the speaker connectors it says: "Front or Rear 8 ohms Min / Speaker". I wouldve thought that meant this amplifier cant handle 4 ohm speakers? But the Service Manual says that this "A" Australian model outputs 190 watts at 4 ohms? Ive got a pair of 4 ohm Jamo Cornet 8s I was going to hook up but Im not so sure now that Ive seen that message? Can anyone clear this up for me, I dont want to damage the amp or speakers if I can help it!

Attachments

• Yamaha AVX-20.png
    Yamaha AVX-20.png
    230.8 KB · Views: 102
Joined 2009
Paid Member
The key word is MINIMUM. You do not want to go BELOW 4 ohms. OK to go above 4 ohms but you may slightly decrease the output power.

OK, thanks mate, I just wanted to make sure! I must be a bit dyslexic when it comes to things like this? lol I connected the speakers and ran them for about an hour. The amplifier didnt heat up or miss a beat so thats great. The speakers are actually floorstanding Jamo Coronet 90 1V. Theyve been in the shed for a few years, ever since I refoamed the drivers, I had forgotten how good they sounded. Yay!!!:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.