How to mod a parasound hca 2200 mk2 ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2004, 07:37 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How to mod a parasound hca 2200 mk2 ?

Any simple - and more radical - suggestions ? - John Curl ?
Old 29th March 2004, 04:05 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

It has been a long while since I looked at the 2200. I loaned two units out (years ago), one to Jack Bybee; another to Brian Cheney (VMPS), and neither have been returned to me, so I haven't seen one in years.
However, this amp is a good candidate for modification.
First locate any bypass caps that seem 'tacked on' or paralleled with other similar caps. Just remove them, except for one 0.1 uf or so cap in each board location. Any bypasses across power electrolytics should be removed.
Second, make sure that your feedback resistors (47K) are 1/2W Resista or Holco (old), nothing else will do.
This should get you started.
Old 6th April 2004, 10:17 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Striking - and giving indsight
It did hurt to remove all the speed. But the sound is more pleasing, smooth, calm and delicious. It kind off changed the face of the amp. I like the "new" - better - sound. The amp sounds inviting just after you turned it on. I think it is a good sign.

Will you give an short explanation ? - so I can search more effectively - what is nessesary speed ?

The feedback resistors are Holco H4. I dont no if its the old style type ?

Do you have any more proposals ?
Old 11th February 2011, 07:00 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi I am new to this interesting forum, I recently purchased the HCA 2200 MkII, can you be more specific about the " caps that seem 'tacked on' or paralleled with other similar caps. Just remove them, except for one 0.1 uf or so cap in each board location" and what about the 47K resistors where are they, I am an electronic engineear my self so I think I can make some mods my self. Please also look at the attached pictures, can you tell me what is wrong with this resistors....
Thank you in advance.
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

p.s Sorry for my poor English but I am from Greece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PAN_5086res.JPG (117.5 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg PAN_5081_cr.jpg (111.4 KB, 318 views)
Old 14th November 2011, 02:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I found this very old thread as I am looking for an HCA-2200 II and figured someone here might have one available.
Old 23rd June 2012, 02:28 AM   #6
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

. HCA2200 or HCA 3500 , which has the better sonics? ....
Old 2nd February 2013, 11:04 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi guys, I just bought a 2200 II myself, and would also like to know what else can be done to it - I can see big sky audio does quite a lot of modification to it, so there got to be more to do?
Hope you can help.
Old 2nd February 2013, 11:17 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Did you say you are an engineer.. you ask all the wrong questions. Questions an ee would not need to ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakinggr View Post
Hi I am new to this interesting forum, I recently purchased the HCA 2200 MkII, can you be more specific about the " caps that seem 'tacked on' or paralleled with other similar caps. Just remove them, except for one 0.1 uf or so cap in each board location" and what about the 47K resistors where are they, I am an electronic engineear my self so I think I can make some mods my self. Please also look at the attached pictures, can you tell me what is wrong with this resistors....
Thank you in advance.
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

p.s Sorry for my poor English but I am from Greece.
Old 3rd February 2013, 12:43 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Vacuum it out first! Clean the contacts, both input and output. Finally, if you see a lot of 'extra' film caps across the main power caps, you can cut the majority of them out.
Old 4th February 2013, 10:21 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

The majority of the poly - how many is that? There are quite a few ones. How about stripping all of them, and replacing them with a few good ones instead?

How is the best way to bias it? It's so compact, and to me it seems like the side needs to come off, in order to be able to measure - or is there a smarter way in?

Hide this!Advertise here!