Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

DLH Amplifier: The trilogy with PLH and JLH amps
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st October 2017, 03:36 PM   #241
prasi is offline prasi  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_fortier View Post
Hi Prasi

Very nice layout.

The 4700uF input cap. is on your PCB but the latest schematic seems to only have a 1uF

I have never seen a 4700uF for input, 10uF max.

BR
Eric
Hello Eric,
the 4700 uf cap was included in the first post by the designer. So thats why I kept it too. anyway there is a parallel film cap so that could be used as well instead of the 4700uF or both could be used. there was some explanation by designer somewhere in the thread, although, honestly, i didnt read it carefully enough.
regards
Prasi

edit here it is

Last edited by prasi; 1st October 2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 1st October 2017, 07:49 PM   #242
Ripcord is online now Ripcord  United States
diyAudio Member

Well here's another pcb. I definitely recommend Prasi's pcb as it has all of the extra parts for really tweaking up the amp. I already had this done just in case someone was looking for the final, simple version. The power mosfets are as wide as I could get them and still stay in the 100mm or less size break at the manufacturer.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DipTrace PCB - DLH Amp 3.pdf (23.7 KB, 55 views)
File Type: pdf DipTrace PCB - DLH Amp 3 Bott.pdf (12.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: pdf DipTrace PCB - DLH Amp 3 Bott Flipped.pdf (12.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: zip DLH 3.zip (20.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 1st October 2017, 08:19 PM   #243
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

That looks very nice too Ripcord. It really looks simple on yours but more complicated on Prasi's even though same circuit but with added bells and whistles - just more white space I guess.

It's nice to have so many options on PCBs for this amp.
Old 2nd October 2017, 07:17 AM   #244
diyAudio Member

Its done!

hint: for those who use board houses.....sometimes the PCB manufacturer goes ahead manufactures single sided boards as single sided. Its better to instruct specifically to them to manufacture double sided boards. That way you will have nice solder mask on both sides (blue or red or black) + you will have pads on top side too.. helps with measurements.

edit: added pdf files for etching. all views from component side.
Attached Images
File Type: png DLH-prasi Rev1.png (86.1 KB, 191 views)
File Type: png DLH-prasi Sch-Rev1.png (7.5 KB, 176 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip gerbers-DLH_Horacio-r1.zip (177.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: pdf DLH_Horacio silk r1.pdf (242.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: pdf DLH_Horacio cu bottom r1.pdf (106.8 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by prasi; 2nd October 2017 at 07:36 AM.
Old 2nd October 2017, 08:05 AM   #245
arcgotic is offline arcgotic  Romania
diyAudio Member

Hello Diego,
first, Thanks for this simple design!!

I want to build this amp but I have no experience with amps..
I have some questions:
-How to set bias? I measure + power line with an amp meter in series while I turn pot VR10?
-Regarding mode SE or PP, the pot VR9 should stay either max to one side either to the other side, or it can be in-between?
-If I have different voltage PS, let's say 18V or 22V, should I change values to some parts?

Thanks,
Daniel
Old 2nd October 2017, 08:37 AM   #246
gaborbela is online now gaborbela  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasi View Post
Its done!

hint: for those who use board houses.....sometimes the PCB manufacturer goes ahead manufactures single sided boards as single sided. Its better to instruct specifically to them to manufacture double sided boards. That way you will have nice solder mask on both sides (blue or red or black) + you will have pads on top side too.. helps with measurements.

edit: added pdf files for etching. all views from component side.
Prasi excellent design as always.
I have only one small advise or notice (for next time) in case you could increase the size of marked copper trace somehow. The problem if ever the power mosfet need to be replaced usually that can damage the PC board very easily, from the heat that small copper trace may fall of. Especially when the PC board one sided. Otherwise super nice layout!! I hope you do not mind I mention that, it happened with me several times I damaged the PC boards when I tried to remove the power device.
Attached Images
File Type: png DLH-prasi Rev1.png (163.1 KB, 161 views)
Old 2nd October 2017, 08:52 AM   #247
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaborbela View Post
Prasi excellent design as always.
I have only one small advise or notice (for next time) in case you could increase the size of marked copper trace somehow. The problem if ever the power mosfet need to be replaced usually that can damage the PC board very easily, from the heat that small copper trace may fall of. Especially when the PC board one sided. Otherwise super nice layout!! I hope you do not mind I mention that, it happened with me several times I damaged the PC boards when I tried to remove the power device.
Hi Gabor thanks for compliments. I do not mind at all, as learning is the moto here. Howevwr the trace is 2.54mm thick in this laYout. I think it should be adequate for servicing
Regards
Prasi
Old 2nd October 2017, 02:39 PM   #248
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcgotic View Post
Hello Diego,
first, Thanks for this simple design!!

I want to build this amp but I have no experience with amps..
I have some questions:
-How to set bias? I measure + power line with an amp meter in series while I turn pot VR10?
-Regarding mode SE or PP, the pot VR9 should stay either max to one side either to the other side, or it can be in-between?
-If I have different voltage PS, let's say 18V or 22V, should I change values to some parts?

Thanks,
Daniel
Put a DVM with alligator clips across one of the source resistors and adjust bias pot to get the current you need. For 0.15ohms and ohms law V=IR so if desire 1.8amp bias (for example) adjust until V=0.15ohms x 1.8amp=270mV. Then adjust DC offset by measuring output relative to GND (with inputs shorted). Wait a few minutes for thermal equilibrium and repeat until bias is set where you want and DC offset stable. Typical is +/-20mV is good.
Old 2nd October 2017, 02:41 PM   #249
diyAudio Member

Wonderful layout as always Prasi! Reminds me of Silicon Harmony layout you did for me

Click the image to open in full size.

For those who have not installed a PCB like this before onto a heatsink, if you use a washer so that mosfet clamp screws also clamp PCB down onto mosfet you can skip the 4 corner screws. The structural strength of the 6 soldered mosfet pins and two bolts is more than enough to securely hold PCB in place. Very convenient and reduces need to drill and tap 4 holes for corner mounts.

Last edited by xrk971; 2nd October 2017 at 02:44 PM.

DLH Amplifier: The trilogy with PLH and JLH ampsHide this!Advertise here!