Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

DLH Amplifier: The trilogy with PLH and JLH amps
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th August 2017, 10:18 PM   #11
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hugh Dean has posted something like this a few years ago and so did Broskie. Strange thng is I never saw anybody build it yet. Diego, now pressure is on you to build
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 27th August 2017, 11:48 PM   #12
diegomj1973 is offline diegomj1973  Argentina
diyAudio Member

The circuit is working perfectly. You can see my videos from the first tests. Tested with very bad speakers sounds beautiful.

I do not know what these people have done in relation to configurations that might be similar to mine. I only know that it far exceeds my expectations, although the schematic is not very flexible when designing it, compared to others.

I'm surprised no one has ever used a scheme like this, yet. My design employs a "rustic vertical differential amplifier". If the output is set in perfect push pull configuration, using two similar paired N channel mosfets, H2 cancellation is excellent and the distortion residue is extremely low. It is of total simplicity but its parameters of quality are enormously surprising.

I built the JLH version Update and, I can assure that compared under the same speakers, my circuit performs several times better than the JLH.

It does not mean that the JLH dislike me. Simply, my circuit reproduces much more realistic, without annoying wheezes, with greater bandwidth than the JLH.

I had no chance to build the PLH, yet.

Regards

Last edited by diegomj1973; 28th August 2017 at 12:16 AM.
Old 28th August 2017, 12:28 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Bigun: Could you quote links from Hugh Dean and Broskie posts?

Regards
Old 28th August 2017, 08:10 AM   #14
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

The circuit was first described by Christopher Rush in 1964.
It is a series LTP, one single current, very fast and high gain.
It has two outputs, in antiphase, functionally like a tube concertina phase splitter.
Ideal for a quasi amplifier driver and transconductance set with a single inter-emitter resistor.
Essentially it is an emitter follower driving a common base.
The circuit was first used commercially by Tomlinson Holman in the 1973 NAD 3020 phono preamplifier which established a very high reputation for decades.
Nice circuit, Horacio!! However, nothing is new under the sun but you should be proud that this does not detract from your clever implementation of a quasi drive for a power amplifier. Who knows, you could be the next Spanish Pass!

HD

Last edited by AKSA; 28th August 2017 at 08:34 AM.
Old 28th August 2017, 09:51 AM   #15
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

an unusual way to present the squarewave tests. Does the stopping and starting @ the zero volts reveal any extra information useful to a designer?
Old 28th August 2017, 09:56 AM   #16
R.I.P.

Could this circuit be used with a high performance opamp wrapped up into a composite with global feedback?
Old 28th August 2017, 04:54 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much, Hugh, for the valuable information on precedents related to the subject. I will try to find them and see if there are similarities with what I post here.

AndrewT: Could you give an outline of what you would try to do? I can not see the need to use an OPAMP, unless I do not understand you.

The basic idea was to keep design as simple as possible, maximizing performance, as far as possible.

The weak point could be the offset, although that is easily solvable. Otherwise, the design reaches more than interesting parameters.

Regards
Old 28th August 2017, 05:29 PM   #18
R.I.P.

The composite using either a gain stage, or a Current Buffer for the second stage usually offers increased performance.
W.Jung has written extensively on this. Our Member Tomchr has produced such a composite and to date his achieved performance is way above what any plain Jane 3886 could achieve.
Old 28th August 2017, 06:29 PM   #19
Ketje is offline Ketje  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegomj1973 View Post
Excuse me, but your subcircuit is not like the one I posted . Check it out, since it's not like mine . In your schematic you are connecting - V with ground, among other things ---> Booooommmmm !!! .

Anyway, this subcircuit could be arranged visually so that everyone can understand it better .

Regards
I don't understand, where is it different ?
Mona
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DLH-Amp(ver3).jpg (81.7 KB, 997 views)
Old 29th August 2017, 12:22 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DLH-Amp(ver3).jpg (117.2 KB, 1498 views)

DLH Amplifier: The trilogy with PLH and JLH ampsHide this!Advertise here!