Hafler DH-200/220 Mods

Because reusing the transformer you already have would save some money.

Antek has a 15+15 volt AC transformer rated at 300VA for $36 plus $11 shipping in the USA.

Antek - AN-3215

I sold the old transformer with bridge and caps on eBay for $25. Also sold the input boards to a guy in Australia for $25. I may have been lucky, but the transformer was a wash with the fees and all.

Troubleshooting a Hafler HD-220 board can be difficult due to limited access to the solder side of the board. Quick Disconnect Terminals will fit at the bottom of the board by drilling a second hole 0.200” form the existing wire hole. Smaller connector socket and pins can be used for the input. This allows the board to be removed form the amp and folded out form heat sink. A current limited lab power supply can be used if a ground jumper is added form the power supply ground to the input ground.

There is a possibility of problems due to contact resistance, however, this mod will provide better access for troubleshooting and testing.

TERMINAL QUICKFIT .052"DIA .250"
http://www.keyelco.com/pdfs/M60/M60p53.pdf
Digi-Key - 1287K-ND (Manufacturer - 1287)

Attachments

• MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 645
  • MVC-008S.JPG
    MVC-008S.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 634
  • MVC-009S.JPG
    MVC-009S.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 619
  • DH22O GROUND JUMPER 1.JPG
    DH22O GROUND JUMPER 1.JPG
    434.5 KB · Views: 606
I'm recapping a Smart version DH-220 and i am undecided on what caps to use for the 1000pF and below caps. Mouser has Kemet PFR series polypropylene 5% caps in all the right values including the .39uF and .005uF. I have never heard of them and i don't know how they would be for audio use. The Smart version already has some of the mods listed on this thread but i thought it would be a good idea to refresh the caps. I'd appreciate if anyone can comment on these caps or what brand to use for the referred values.

I'm recapping a Smart version DH-220 and i am undecided on what caps to use for the 1000pF and below caps. Mouser has Kemet PFR series polypropylene 5% caps in all the right values including the .39uF and .005uF. I have never heard of them and i don't know how they would be for audio use. The Smart version already has some of the mods listed on this thread but i thought it would be a good idea to refresh the caps. I'd appreciate if anyone can comment on these caps or what brand to use for the referred values.

Please provide a link to this Smart DH-220, schematics, pictures of your progress, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the link. I didn't know that existed.

My amp is the TA242 which is a Hafler DH-220 modded by Smart Theatre Systems for movie theaters. I bought one for $100 best offer on Ebay. You can get good deals on these because most people don't know anything about them and they don't have the external looks of a home amplifier. The beauty is in the inside of the amp. My amp had a loud hum in one channel when i received it but it just turned out to be a wire that came off the volume control. My neighbor has around 13 of these so i will be able to compare a modded amp to a stock amp. I plan on comparing it to my Bryston 4B SST amp on my living room home theater system with Paradigm Studio 60's. Eventually the amp will be used in my bedroom as a vintage 2 channel system with a Tandberg 3008A preamp and not so vintage Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1nrt monitors.

The Smart TA242 amp has a torroidal transformer, heavy duty bridge rectifier, heavy duty power cord (still only 18awg) and power switch, main capacitor circuit board, and input volume controls. The boards are PC19 revision C. They also have a connector on each board so the boards can be swapped out by removing 4 screws. This was very convenient considering the amps were used for movie theaters and it made it very easy to swap out a dead channel. Many theaters are installing more powerful sound systems so some of these amps are popping up on ebay.

I have changed the terminal strips to rca jacks and binding posts.
Changed the stock 10,000 mfd caps to 18,000 mfd Nippon caps.
Upgraded to a higher rated bridge rectifier that i bought from the same seller on Ebay as the capacitors.
Installed a 14awg power cord and i am going to upgrade the rest of the 18awg wire that feeds the capacitor board.
I have started collecting capacitors for doing a complete swap out with Elna Simic II 100 mfd and Wima, Panasonic, Dayton, or Kemet polypropylene films caps depending on what is available.

The linked picture is the stock TA242.

Well i guess this is a place for a newbie to jump in.
My son and I have bridged to Hafler 200's to monoblocks.
We have upgraded the power switch, the inputs, the binding posts and the power cord.
We are very excited by our progress as we feel the results compare favorably with my McIntosh MC 2200 which they now will replace.
Since this is our first real solid state project( we are fairly conversant with tubes) we are looking for two pieces of advice. 1)how to progressively increase our theoretical understanding, and, 2)the logical sequence of mods ahead.
We are serious DIYers to the point that we built my electric bass, modified my Oliver tube head, etc, ad nauseum and are very excited by the knowledge we can find here. Thanks.

The 200 was a terrific amp when Erno designed it, a long time ago. It has no protection circuits, outputs are no longer available, parts quality are not up to modern standards. You could do a lot, but you could also buy newer designs for less off e-bay. It is also a pain to work on as you can't get to the back of the board easily. I know, I have been playing with a 120 to learn about amps.

On e-bay, there is a guy with replacement modern main caps and higher quality signal caps kits. I also put in a hexfred rectifier that made a big measurable difference, but some suggest correct snubbers do just as well. Bigger lower ESR caps you may want a soft start and bigger rectifier.

Anything is possible; twin die outputs, complete new drivers, protection, mute, soft start, FET inputs, anything you want.

The 200 was a terrific amp when Erno designed it...

Still is, bro!

On e-bay, there is a guy with replacement modern main caps and higher quality signal caps kits. I also put in a hexfred rectifier that made a big measurable difference, but some suggest correct snubbers do just as well. .

Can you share your source for the HexFRED rectifier with your friends, please?

This is off to a great start. Thanks very much. I am off to learn about solid state rectifiers with the hexfred rectifier.
Snubbers is a term I've not heard before?
Can some one point me in the right direction.
Any books out there that serve as essential source material?
And a little off topic but if you haven't ever seen Mr. Hafler's chess set it's worth googling.
Definitely not DIY!

Snubbers is a term I've not heard before?
Can some one point me in the right direction.

Snubber is the term referred to a device which damps the ringing of a resonant circuit -- in the case of the rectifier diode the junction capacitance and the leakage inductance of the transformer form a resonant circuit -- if it's bad enough the ringing can be heard or it may force other PN junctions to conduct when they shouldn't. In the case of switch mode power supplies it can cause significant interference to communications devices.

The folks who manufacture diodes (On Semi, ST Micro, IRF etc.) as well as the capacitor manufacturers put out white papers on damping the ringing, but one of the easiest to understand is this:

http://www.hagtech.com/pdf/snubber.pdf

Still is, bro!

Can you share your source for the HexFRED rectifier with your friends, please?

Sure, again.
As I also put in caps 4 times as large and half the ESR that are 25 years newer. To withstand any higher inrush, I put in a much larger bridge. 35A steady state. I measured the harmonic content before and after on the amp output. The LF noise floor dropped by 5 dB and the 60 Hz and harmonics dropped between 8 and 13 dB. How much was the very expensive bridge, how much caps? Can't say. I woudl ascribe all of the LF improvements to the caps. The Hafler did not have proper R-C snubbers, just a single cap across the AC. Gentlemen like Mr. Curl say shut up and use them, where Mr. Pass says correct snubbers are just as good. By correct, I am taking that as correctly tuned, not just a few .01uF caps thrown at it. It is an RLC issue. I suspect both are correct. Search the WEB on snubbers and learn how to do it correctly. The short answer is you have to prototype and tune. The technical notes on the bridge say "reduced need" for snubbers, not none. I have not had time to play with that. The DH-120 is a royal pain to use as a test bet. We are not talking any magic cures for cancer.

I repeat "were in their day".
There are a lot of very good arguments to use FET front ends, the gate resistors were not understood yet, method of dominant pole compensation, 5% carbon film resistors, mica and electrolytic caps, and transistors out of the stone, age put them in the "were" category, without even getting to a speaker fuse as protection that won't protect anything other than maybe the speaker cable. Perhaps that they are valid at all and listenable today serves to give credit to his design expertise. They also fail my wife's critical hearing test of some distortion when trumpets blare. Exactly what is a mystery. Many modern amps fail this too. So far, of the amps I can actually pay for, only he small Rotel 8 and 9 series pass the test. As we know, for some reason MOSFETS have very weak bottom ends. So, 35 years on, you can do better. Should that be a surprise? The first transistor was only 20 years before and L-MOSFETs were brand new. No SPICE simulation yet.
You can spend a lot of money redesigning a 220, even more tweaking it once done. When done, you have the same box and heat sink, not a DH-220. I have spent half the cost of a new Halo on textbooks and parts, countless hours studying all I can including learning LTSpice and have only an improved amp that still will not pass muster and any fault will fry both the amp and speaker. As a hobby for my curiosity, this has been great. TO get better sound, well a $150 e-bay Rotel suits us far better. Jump up a notch or two: Acrus, Forte, Aragon, Parasound, Adcom. A bit more, Nak, Krell, or whatever. Far cheaper. If you know which ones, Denon, Onk, Marantz all have made super units.

Sure, again.

That was in another thread; doesn't count here! :)

As I also put in caps 4 times as large and half the ESR that are 25 years newer. To withstand any higher inrush, I put in a much larger bridge. 35A steady state. I measured the harmonic content before and after on the amp output. The LF noise floor dropped by 5 dB and the 60 Hz and harmonics dropped between 8 and 13 dB.

That's A LOT of improvement!

The Hafler did not have proper R-C snubbers, just a single cap across the AC.

He/they may have been aiming to bypass the high-frequency rectification noise and demodulated FM radio signals away from the rest of the circuit rather than snubbing the LCR ringing between the transformer winding and the rectifier capacitances.

Search the WEB on snubbers and learn how to do it correctly. The short answer is you have to prototype and tune.

You're making me wish I'd never sold that 5MHz o'scope again... :bawling:

<Balance deleted for lack of time to respond>

Wow is this place an intellectual feast of what.
I feel like I've jumped into the deep end of the pool.
Thanks for pointing me to post 292(I think!)
Meanwhile the new inputs, fuse upgrade, new binding posts
and DIY power cord upgrade on my monoblocked Hafler 200's has already yeilded results.
Caps and bridge probably next. Gotta pause a full measure while I try to digest this stuff before plotting my next move.
Thanks again.