Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Transformers in parallel or series?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2017, 09:48 PM   #31
Discopete is offline Discopete  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayma View Post
You could add connections to the amps for the capacitors in the extra supplies.
Mount those supplies in an enclosure (no need to disconnect the rest of the
circuit in them). Then plug them in and have a listen to double the capacitance.

Not having heard these amps, part of the sound quality may be that they are inverting,
unlike most other power amplifiers. The input and feedback signals are directly combined
in the nfb network, instead of going to opposite sides of a diff amp input circuit.
They are complete in their own enclosures as they come in modular form, very elegant imo, patch chords from the amp enclosure to the psu enclosure. They are bound side by side with connecting bars underneath that serve also as feet/standoffs for heat dissipation.
Old 13th August 2017, 09:50 PM   #32
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discopete View Post
Sure, but I'm not reading any responses with hardy approval. Mind you, I don't see any difficulty
in connecting the additional power supplies, either fully or just additional capacitance. There's no harm
in trying it out which I think I will do. I ran it by you all for your educated opinions and to make sure
I don't blow anything up. I love overkill
Use connectors (unlike banana plugs) that can't easily disconnect,
and check the polarity of the connections very carefully.
Make the output connections like those of the internal supplies.

Last edited by rayma; 13th August 2017 at 09:57 PM.
Old 13th August 2017, 09:58 PM   #33
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

I'd do some research on paralleling transformers if I were you, but I think you'll find that adequate increase in available current will be achieved by increasing the capacitance which also seems to be the consensus here. It will not affect the attributes of the amplifier that you like although it may seem to subjectively if it changes the tonal balance, ie. more bass/slam, whatever
Old 13th August 2017, 10:05 PM   #34
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

@ rayma. Do you think paralleling the whole supply would be safer than the transformers, that is, more leeway for imbalances?
Old 13th August 2017, 10:26 PM   #35
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
@ rayma. Do you think paralleling the whole supply would be safer than the transformers,
that is, more leeway for imbalances?
I would not attempt paralleling the entire two supplies or the transformers, there's too much
uncertainty about sharing. Just parallel the capacitors.

The existing transformer should be good with twice the capacitance, so just jumper the extra
capacitors over to the amp. No other changes to the supplies are needed, since the rectifier
diodes will block DC from the unused transformer. Triple check all polarities.

If I were rebuilding these amps, each of the four supply modules would be configured so
each transformer parallels its dual secondaries for one output voltage, and twice the
capacitance per polarity, per amplifier. (If there are in fact dual secondaries on each transformer.)
Anyone have a power supply schematic?

Last edited by rayma; 13th August 2017 at 10:38 PM.
Old 13th August 2017, 11:07 PM   #36
Discopete is offline Discopete  Canada
diyAudio Member

meridian-audio[.info] | Meridian Boothroyd Stuart
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayma View Post
I would not attempt paralleling the entire two supplies or the transformers, there's too much
uncertainty about sharing. Just parallel the capacitors.

The existing transformer should be good with twice the capacitance, so just jumper the extra
capacitors over to the amp. No other changes to the supplies are needed, since the rectifier
diodes will block DC from the unused transformer. Triple check all polarities.

If I were rebuilding these amps, each of the four supply modules would be configured so
each transformer parallels its dual secondaries for one output voltage, and twice the
capacitance per polarity, per amplifier. (If there are in fact dual secondaries on each transformer.)
Anyone have a power supply schematic?
Old 21st August 2017, 06:27 PM   #37
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

is the transformer 150VA?
is it dual 35Vac secondary?

Transformers in parallel or series?Hide this!Advertise here!