Krell KSA 50 pcb - Page 775 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2008, 06:46 PM   #7741
diyAudio Member

The KRELL is simply an over biased class B design, so we do our version that would appeal to either the guys in the Northern hemisphere to aid in house warming and those in the Southern Hemisphere who does not want anymore heat than they can stand.

Furthermore we design it for the MOSFET followers as well as the BJT followers and cater for both tastes, maybe we can at the same time establish which sound better and put the old myth to bed.

We make it to be stable over a large range of voltages so that it can be the 30 watt amp for some or the 100 watt amp for others.

I suggest we kick off with the basic old pre 83 KSA50 design, it is simple and not much different to the later 100 watt design.

There are many simulators used by the members and we could compare simulation results, part models, etc. We could during the design establish which is the best simulator for our members.

We lay several PCBs until we find the best layout (there are many of us with PCB software)

All of us with access to PCB manufacturing could provide the forum with quotes and we can find the most cost effective solution for everyone to share in.

Guys think of it, this can be an opportunity to benefit all members of the diyAUDIO community, moreover the project need not be done by the week-end.

It will be a great learning for all of us, maybe some won't benefit that much but others could.

I have always maintained the cumulative effort from many lateral thinkers far outweighs the capabilities of the single designer. If we took the abilities into account from all members in this forum we probably put to shame some of the largest audio companies known.

Kindest regards

Nico
Old 13th November 2008, 03:07 PM   #7742
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nico Ras
The KRELL is simply an over biased class B design, so we do our version that would appeal to either the guys in the Northern hemisphere to aid in house warming and those in the Southern Hemisphere who does not want anymore heat than they can stand.

Furthermore we design it for the MOSFET followers as well as the BJT followers and cater for both tastes, maybe we can at the same time establish which sound better and put the old myth to bed.

We make it to be stable over a large range of voltages so that it can be the 30 watt amp for some or the 100 watt amp for others.

I suggest we kick off with the basic old pre 83 KSA50 design, it is simple and not much different to the later 100 watt design.

There are many simulators used by the members and we could compare simulation results, part models, etc. We could during the design establish which is the best simulator for our members.

We lay several PCBs until we find the best layout (there are many of us with PCB software)

All of us with access to PCB manufacturing could provide the forum with quotes and we can find the most cost effective solution for everyone to share in.

Guys think of it, this can be an opportunity to benefit all members of the diyAUDIO community, moreover the project need not be done by the week-end.

It will be a great learning for all of us, maybe some won't benefit that much but others could.

I have always maintained the cumulative effort from many lateral thinkers far outweighs the capabilities of the single designer. If we took the abilities into account from all members in this forum we probably put to shame some of the largest audio companies known.

Kindest regards

Nico

No offense intended, but I don't think you read the first 300 pages of this thread.
Old 13th November 2008, 04:56 PM   #7743
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by troystg

No offense intended, but I don't think you read the first 300 pages of this thread.
Why should I?
Old 13th November 2008, 05:58 PM   #7744
Jozua is offline Jozua  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Nico

The thread aimed at recreating an EXACT copy of a Krell amp.

Your intention is to create a NEW design which should possibly run a it's own thread.

Regards

Jozua
Old 13th November 2008, 06:03 PM   #7745
K-amps is offline K-amps  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nico Ras

Why should I?
Why should you what.... Feel offended or Read 300 pages ?

Old 13th November 2008, 09:03 PM   #7746
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by K-amps

Why should you what.... Feel offended or Read 300 pages ?

No I am not offended at all, but if you look at one of the last few replies KRELL insisted that one of the members remove it from the public domain.

As far as I can establish Krell is a registered trade mark and the designs registered as well so there is copyright infringement.

I merely suggested making a non-KRELL so this problem goes away and diyAudio have there own KRELL like amp for their own purpose.

I have also visited Jan Didden's site and his clone is significantly different from the KRELL in that a technical expert can be swayed by this fact, but then KRELL clone is not the right name either as it implies that it is a KRELL.

Lamborgini a few years back successfully stopped the sale of Lambo lookalike kits available in the USA as well as claiming damages from those who made and sold the kits.

On the other hand the forum my ask Dan for his permission to publish, use and sell his circuit and he might agree to it if he feels that he will not loose money or his product loose face by some DIY attempt at making KRELL like amplifiers.

Personally I have no need for a KRELL clone of any kind, but it seemed to have some following amongst the members here.

And my comment should be read as a suggestion, motivation and involvement, for the members from the members. I am surely not interested in KRELL or its clones, children, brothers and cousins, but the community might be.

So I take it you speak as the leader on behalf of the community. This may be a step in the right direction as a community should not be a blind headless institution. It needs a leader.

Nico
Old 13th November 2008, 09:17 PM   #7747
K-amps is offline K-amps  United States
diyAudio Member

Pls. bear with me moderators...

Nico... the idea here at DIYaudio is to stuff for fun with NO commercial aspirations when it comes to trying out well established designs like Krell / Aleph etc.

Legalities aside, one can argue that a few DIY'ers making some clones is not going to hurt Krell sales because Krell buyers are typically not your DIY crowd. (and perhaps vice versa)

My guess is they asked Mlloyd to remove the schematic because part of the Krell Brand "Aura" is the curiousity of the unknown... the brand is built around a halo of exoticism... this is diluted if people get to know that a given design is pretty generic... give or take...

then again this is conjecture...

Danny has never been the sharing kind.... hence people here will respect the likes of a Pass more than a D'agostino. I digress again.
Old 13th November 2008, 09:48 PM   #7748
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Pls. bear with me moderators...

Nico... the idea here at DIYaudio is to stuff for fun with NO commercial aspirations when it comes to trying out well established designs like Krell / Aleph etc.

Legalities aside, one can argue that a few DIY'ers making some clones is not going to hurt Krell sales because Krell buyers are typically not your DIY crowd. (and perhaps vice versa)

My guess is they asked Mlloyd to remove the schematic because part of the Krell Brand "Aura" is the curiousity of the unknown... the brand is built around a halo of exoticism... this is diluted if people get to know that a given design is pretty generic... give or take...

then again this is conjecture...

Danny has never been the sharing kind.... hence people here will respect the likes of a Pass more than a D'agostino. I digress again.
I must admit there are a few slightly more interesting post on the rest of the forum, not much but less boring.
Old 14th November 2008, 12:04 AM   #7749
diyAudio Moderator

I built my Klone for fun, and it sounds great and was a very satisfying project. If I want a technically better amp, I'll build Mike B's Symasym. Again.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 14th November 2008, 01:07 AM   #7750
diyAudio Member

Quote:

.... hence people here will respect the likes of a Pass more than a D'agostino. I digress again.
You hit the nail on the head there...

Hide this!Advertise here!