Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2007, 06:01 PM   #7471
diyAudio Member

Hopefully this will help some of you out that were looking for transformers for this project.
You could also use the dual secondaries for +60 / -60 without the center taps. Then using the 100V primaries I measured 72.85VAC each. You could build a pretty beefy amp with that voltage for each rail. I come up with 103VDC for each rail in that configuration.
Let me know if any of you buy these. I would like to know what you think of them.
Thanks,
Donovan
Old 5th November 2007, 06:07 PM   #7472
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure what they are made from, or if you can add them to an existing transformer.
I know they are pretty standard in higher end torroids used for audio. I have seen them on the Plitrons, etc.
I think it helps to contain the magnetic flux, so you get less interference from the transformer.
I'm sure someone around here could explain it to us.
Thanks,
Donovan
Old 5th November 2007, 06:15 PM   #7473
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I modified my 1000VA transformers from 74-0+74-0 to 37-0 times four.
Initially I ran the secondaries in parallel but the rectifer got too hot to touch (no sink fitted).

I changed to dual rectifiers, with a single rectifier across each 37-0-37, then paralleled the outputs of the rectifiers.
Sharing the secondary current this way made the rectifiers run much cooler.
Old 5th November 2007, 07:20 PM   #7474
diyAudio Member

Default Transformer update

Here is the link to Scott's e-bay sale;
http://cgi.ebay.com/Toroid-TI-043222...QQcmdZViewItem

Apparently the transformers I got were a little different than the models he has listed on e-bay and he is out of the model I bought now. The model on e-bay is very similar, it just has a bit different secondary voltages (~29.4-0-29.4 unloaded). They are perfect for what we are doing with them in this project.
Thanks,
Donovan
Old 5th November 2007, 11:15 PM   #7475
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

I bought one also - $40 best offer +$19 shipping... still waiting for it.
Old 6th November 2007, 04:16 AM   #7476
imix500 is offline imix500  United States
Proud Union Member
diyAudio Member

I bought one a few weeks ago. good quality and can't beat the price!
Old 7th November 2007, 07:14 PM   #7477
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Motobias
Default Cerwin Vega a-2200 ?Mark. A. G.?

Hello everyone,
i stumbled across this wonderful forum when is was looking for information about a cerwin-vega a-2200 amp which i bought for a bargain on ebay germay
unfortunately i don't have any further information about this amp and i would be very thankful for any detail i can get !
Mark A. G. mentioned in some thread, that he got one of the same kind and is currently modifying it ?!

Thank you !

toby
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 43d0_0.jpg (2.9 KB, 1050 views)
Old 16th November 2007, 02:58 AM   #7478
diyAudio Member

Just got 2 of these. Great quality. They have a bel canto part number TT250 Rev E on them. KSA50 is underway, enclosure is only part to be obtained. Have some HUGE heatsinks, bigger than any Krell I have ever seen. 39 pounds per channel. Thinking of 4 pairs a1943\c5200 and 2 pinkmouse driver boards to minimize lead length. Hope Mark has a few more boards....I need 4 more for driver and output boards.

Bob G.
Old 16th November 2007, 06:15 PM   #7479
bencat is offline bencat  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

All of this seems to refer to a Krell KSA 50 Mk II . I am not sure what the exact differences are with these two. I own and use an original KSA 50 Mk I and this is the big heavy unit with full 50watt class A output and a fan that is noisy but very nessesary as the unit does run very hot when it is idling.

Mine has a small amount of work done ,change to schottky diodes , Kimber bypass caps, but is mostly as standard. Sound is very good indeed with great bass weight and very smooth powerful powerful sound without being too shrill and relentless as some solid state amps can be.

Is there a good schematic about for the KSA Mk i unit ?

Regards

Bencat

PS the big difference with KMA units is that they moved away form pure class A to what Krell describe as Plateaux Bias Class A. Probably a very clever circuit but not as purs as just the original Class A .
Old 16th November 2007, 07:06 PM   #7480
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
You are very welcome to post a piccy of the insides, especially a closeup of the front end snatch.

Hide this!Advertise here!