Krell KSA 50 PCB

I made a combined bias/temperature alrm PCB.

In normal situation the amp operates on high bias (indicated by a green led on the front of the amp).

Temperatureswitshes, mounted on each heatsink, activate when temp. > 70 gr.C a relais that switch both channels on low bias an indicate that with a red led on the front of the amp.

There is also a manual swith on the front of the amp for toggle between hi and low bias.

Attachments

• biasregeling1 model (1).pdf
    12.4 KB · Views: 324
Ok, we are above the 100 mark for both the main and output boards now. Al and I are considering getting a prototype board made up by the board house so it can be built up and verified working.

Also.... its looking like about $14.00 U.S. per board plus S&H if we go with the slowest production method of 30 days. Is this ok with all you that have plased your order on the WIKI or would you like them via quicker production at a price of about three dollars higher each? PLease gove some feedback on this one and we need all to be happy with the price and production that is decided upon.

I also think we should have a cut off for the WIKI that occurs right after I can confirm that the PCB prototype is good. This would also allow us to extend the WIKI by about another week or two.

Here are the specs for the boards so far......

Layers: 2
0.093" FR4
Dimensions: 4.1" x 8.25"
Plating: SMOBC
Cu Weight: 2 oz.
Inner Layer Copper Weight: 0.5
Trace width/space: 0.01
Smallest hole size: 0.024"
Soldermask: Both Sides with LPI
Soldermask Color: Blue
Legend: Top Side
Legend Color: White
Scoring: Yes

Feedback pleeze:bigeyes: .

Thanks,
Mark

We may also be offering deals, for those that want no, or extra output boards, or if I get the time, I may do a board with 6 or 8 outputs separately. This will be generic for any of the T0247 type devices, so could be used for any amp with a similar output topology.

As for the small wait, just bear in mind that for those of us in the northern hemisphere, we won't really appreciate this amp 'till winter comes and we need the extra heat!

Ok, Here is the deal with the PSU board.

Brian needs to make a few corrections to the existing board to properly accomodate the 4 pronged caps, and a change to the LED resistor labeling. After this is done another run of these boards can be made up and delivered to me. Hence these could also be shipped along with the KSA boards for those who are going to order PSU's possibly saving some shipping costs to you. I feel this board is more than adaquate for the KSA-50 and in fact allows you to build up several variations on a supply. CRC, CLC , and just a straight C supply... basically what ever your needs be can be accomodated by this one PSU board. Let me know if this board is ok with all of you and we will proceed with the whole shebang:cannotbe: .

Here is a link to the PSU pcb and parts list as it now exists......

PSU Board

And a link top Brian's web site photo of the actual board.....

PSU
Board Photo

Mark

Hi,
go cheapest and I'll be patient.
Have you got lots of alternative pin pitches built into each cap location? Just a reminder since it came up before & you modified the board accordingly.
How about RC snubbers across the diodes?
Some locations for Hi Freq caps bypassing the large ones?
Fuses for the outputs?

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
AndrewT said:
Hi,
go cheapest and I'll be patient.
Have you got lots of alternative pin pitches built into each cap location? Just a reminder since it came up before & you modified the board accordingly.
How about RC snubbers across the diodes?
Some locations for Hi Freq caps bypassing the large ones?
Fuses for the outputs?

current board pictures here:
http://www.briangt.com/gallery/aleph-pcb
and layout picture here:
http://www.diyamps.com/aleph/ps.shtml

The cap footprints allow for the different types of snap-in caps, up to 40mm in diameter and 4 pin. There is no allowance for screw-in caps.

As for the RC snubber on the diodes, this is possible if consensus agrees. For the fuses, I would like to keep them off board, as they are not needed for the Aleph amps.

--
Brian

Al and Mark-

The other day the PCB shop said they had open capacity, and now they said they have discounts for tooling price and testing.

Once again, haggle and negotiate because the cheaper the price the more people will be able to join in.

I have no complaints with the current suggested price of $14, but they won't do it for cheaper unless you ask...

"Troy,

Last chance to order...Our 50% OFF TOOLING & TEST SPECIAL is ending May
31, 2005.

For details visit: www.4pcb.com/t&t

Thanks for the tremendous response to this offer."

Mark A. Gulbrandsen said:
Advanced is going to make them at this point ......

Mark

Brian uses Advanced, and the last set of PCB's I got from him (Mini-A's) are some of the BEST boards I have seen.

Similar to the KSA-50's I had made he used .096" thick boards and heavy copper for the traces. If you go the same route, then no one will have any reason to complain about the boards. That is, provided they work... Picking on the mouseter... :D

Mark A. Gulbrandsen said:
Advanced is going to make them at this point unless we find alot less expensive source that can match the quality. I agree in the haggling part Troy bet we need to wait till we have the very latst total before we hagglel. That will be after we get the prototype up and running in a couple of weeks(hopefully sooner).

Mark

Do I understand that the 30 day wait will be after they are ordered which will be after the prototypes have been built and tested? The boards would then be available for shipping somewhere between 6 and 8 weeks from now? Is this right?

Thanks, Terry

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
still4given said:

Do I understand that the 30 day wait will be after they are ordered which will be after the prototypes have been built and tested? The boards would then be available for shipping somewhere between 6 and 8 weeks from now? Is this right?

Thanks, Terry

Prototypes ship next day from AC when you order them through the barebonespcb.com service.

As for the pcbs, I ordered them last time for the Aleph order with a 2 week leadtime.

--
Brian