JFET preamp recommendation?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to build a very simple JFET preamp for a GainClone amp which I am building. There are so many designs on this forum that look great, but most are overkill for what I need (unabalanced input to unbalanced output). I just need a very simple buffer stage with low gain that will be able to drive the low-ish 10k input impedance the amp will have. I like the idea of a JFET amp with CCS most from a "doing something new" point of view and would love it to sound better than a chip buffer, but have not been able to find something with a low parts count by searching the forum. Any help appreciated

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
symetric j-fet input pre-amp

Here it is

Q4 and Q2 are medium power transistor since the DC output current is about 20 ma. Some peoples may critic the 470uf output cap but at that time I was very precautious so in case of output failure no DC voltage would apprear at the power amp input...

Attachments

• j-fet-symetric_pre-amp_ft1.gif
    j-fet-symetric_pre-amp_ft1.gif
    14.7 KB · Views: 1,439
OK, can someone now recommend a PS to match?

Now that I have decided to build the Borbely preamp, I am similarly overwhelmed by picking a PS design to use for it.

Zener noise, pass transistors, tracking preregulators, 3 terminal regulator noise...my head is swimming :confused:

Can someone recommend a nice elegant low parts count PS design to go with the nice elegant low parts count Borbely preamp?

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: symetric j-fet input pre-amp

fab said:
Here it is

Q4 and Q2 are medium power transistor since the DC output current is about 20 ma. Some peoples may critic the 470uf output cap but at that time I was very precautious so in case of output failure no DC voltage would apprear at the power amp input...

I redrawn by hand written circuit with microcap and made a mistake, sorry. See the C1 to C4 caps connection.

Attachments

• j-fet-symetric_pre-amp_ft2.gif
    j-fet-symetric_pre-amp_ft2.gif
    15.3 KB · Views: 1,037
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.