Amp module for 2 way active speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
this is designed primarily for pro speakers. single or dual 12-15" drivers with a horn loaded compression driver . power output is scalable from 250-500W for LF and 50-100W for HF. active crossover is on a separate PCB with adjustable crossover frequency and a 80Hz switchable low cut filter and gain control and peak indicator.

some pics:

Attachments

• IMG_0260.JPG
    IMG_0260.JPG
    280.7 KB · Views: 639
  • IMG_0283.JPG
    IMG_0283.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0282.JPG
    IMG_0282.JPG
    223 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0280.JPG
    IMG_0280.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0279.JPG
    IMG_0279.JPG
    230.8 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_0278.JPG
    IMG_0278.JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 591
  • IMG_0277.JPG
    IMG_0277.JPG
    210.3 KB · Views: 600
  • IMG_0269.JPG
    IMG_0269.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 611
  • IMG_0261.JPG
    IMG_0261.JPG
    220.4 KB · Views: 619
your IN/OUT resistor values are very high.
R1, 2, 3 & 4 = 10k and R33 & 34 = 2k2

Why did you go so high?

Hi,

1. for R1....R4=10k, to provide a high impedance load for the source.
2. R33, R34=2k2, there are 2 reasons behind it, first: to prevent loading on the opamp U3, although 5532 can drive low impedance loads easily, but still, to lower the distortion and avoid oscillation and instability of opamp. second: to match the line level input of the power amp to put out specific power output.

Regards,
Aniket

Hi,

1. for R1....R4=10k, to provide a high impedance load for the source.
2. R33, R34=2k2, there are 2 reasons behind it, first: to prevent loading on the opamp U3, although 5532 can drive low impedance loads easily, but still, to lower the distortion and avoid oscillation and instability of opamp. second: to match the line level input of the power amp to put out specific power output.

Regards,
Aniket
What?
Your answers don't make sense.

You have three 10k resistors loading each half of your source.
To me that adds up to 30k per half phase.
Any decent balanced source should be able to drive 600ohms.
The 2k2 output resistors are not the load on the final opamp, except when you accidentally short the output. The normal load on the opamps is 2k2+{120k||Rload}
Your chosen values are nonsense.

Last edited:
What?
Your answers don't make sense.

You have three 10k resistors loading each half of your source.
To me that adds up to 30k per half phase.
Any decent balanced source should be able to drive 600ohms.
The 2k2 output resistors are not the load on the final opamp, except when you accidentally short the output. The normal load on the opamps is 2k2+{120k||Rload}
Your chosen values are nonsense.

Hi,

Firstly, I will be using both balanced and unbalanced inputs, a pro mixer or any other pro audio source will drive a 600ohms load easily. but, any unbalanced source like a DAC or PC or a CD player or any other source you can think of, its better to have a high impedance load for them, to reduce distortion.
now the 2k2 output resistors, you mentioned right final load impedance is 2k2+120k, but if we remove 2k2 and if output gets shorted, then what?

you overlooked the rather more important point in my earlier post, the above values were chosen to match the line level input of the power amp to put out specific power output. and i preferred not to change the gain of the amplifier. End of story.!!!

I appreciate your contribution and teachings to the forum and you are a good critique, but we should read and understand the complete post before concluding something .:)

Cheers !

Yes they are, in the range 10-220R.
That is not what your .pdf is showing.
your IN/OUT resistor values are very high.
R1, 2, 3 & 4 = 10k and R33 & 34 = 2k2
please tell the major advantages in reducing the values of IN/OUT resistors.
Maintaining the output voltage as the load impedance changes. This can be particularly cruel when you add in some RF attenuating capacitance.

Talking about Johnson noise:
A 1k0 resistor has the equivalent to ~4nV/rtHz of Johnson noise.
Add this to a power amplifier with an inherent 4nV/rtHz of self noise and you get ~5.7nV/rtHz of noise when referred to the input. This would be excellent.
Switch that resistor to 20k, now you are adding ~18nV/rtHz to the 4nV/rtHz of the amplifier to give ~18.3nV/rtHz of input referred noise. This is barely acceptable for a power amplifier.

Apply the same 1k & 20k comparisons to a pre-amp gain stage and you have a good stage becoming bad, just because you have placed 20k in the input leads.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.