quad 303 repairs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i just changed the top two power transistors in my quad 303 amp, they were overheating. as soon as i turned the amp on it blew and there was a small smell. i dont know if it was the thermal paste or if a transistor pin touched the chassis. when i change the amp fuse it blows straight away. where is the best place to look for a blown part.

thanks.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Wow, no replies to this one (lol I spotted your thread over at 'tother place and so went hunting :))

The first thing to do is make sure you are using a bulb tester as that will limit current and allow you to safely work on it without major damage.

It sounds like you have changed the fault in changing the transistors. The originals were running hot, now its blowing fuses...

You first need to do basic checks to make sure that the transistor cases are isolated from the heatsink. If that is OK then we move on to doing tests with the amp powered up (with the bulb tester) to see what may be happening.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.