Pioneer stereo amplifier sa-408 Help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I fell asleep while having my amplifier on and woke up to a smell of something burnt. I was still sort of sleeping, so I just turned it off and went back to bed. Now the amplifier won't start, it doesn't even react when connected to power. I opened it up but nothing looks burnt or broken. I have no idea in what end to start. I have the schematic if that helps.

Plz help :)

do you have a d-multimeter?
measuring res of some parts:
first i would look at the fuses ......
and the transformer ( "primary side could be burnt trough" ;
sometimes there is a thermal fuse built in - cuts off if tranformer
is overheated........)

IMG_0259.jpg

I just found this, must be it, what do you think?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Apart from some basic electronics skills, you need test and measurement gear plus an ability to use it effectively without causing more damage - which is all too easy with an old circuit board. Start with a basic multimeter that is safe for use with mains voltage - whether it's necessary to measure that or not but for safety, it should be clearly marked category 2 or higher. You will also need small hand tools, temperature controlled soldering iron with accessories and a current limiting device, like a simple light bulb limiter or even a small variac can be useful, given a little training in how to use one. This is necessary for testing the amplifier after any repairs, to ensure there isn't just going to be a repeat burnout.

Eagerness to learn is great but if you haven't repaired electronic devices in the past, think twice. There are are many long repair threads here that spend much more time on trying to teach the circuit fundamentals than solving problems because if someone is going to repair something, they need to understand at least the basics of how it works or it just remains a confusing mess of parts with weird names and functions. Put another way, nothing can be done reliably unless the requirements are fully understood.

There is no simple formula that says do A,B,C and turn the power back on. Smoke means expensive parts, along with likely other parts which may have suffered collateral damage. Finding and replacing all these parts is where the skilled help is needed but that still requires accurate information from you, the only person with the amplifier.

Even with repairs done, you still need to test the circuit appropriately so that you know all is actually correct first, before attempting to power up normally. Otherwise there will most likely be repeat failures and we have to start over again.

I didn't find any free service manual for this 25W model, just a schematic: https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/pioneer/sa-408.shtml
Other comments: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/209769-pioneer-sa-408-output-distortion.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.