Please help with issues I'm having with my Bob Cordell amplifier implementation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Nice work :up: and good detective analysis.

A couple of things puzzle me in the scope shot showing the oscillation. Firstly, why is there apparent LF roll off, the component values we have shouldn't do that at 1kHz. And secondly the initially 'ringing' looks for to low a frequency but be normal instability.

The burst of HF that comes later can be typical of wiring and layout issues (in my experience)

sim racing!

seems a waste to have a cascode beta enhanced VAS, output triple and only 22 dB 20 kHz loop gain

I think Bob overdoes the diff pair degen, I reduced it 10x

I more than make up the audio frequency linearity with 2-pole compensation, almost 40(37) dB added 20 kHz gain
which means ~ 70x less diff input V for the same 20 kHz output
and of course much more loop gain as you go lower into conventional music 3-5 kHz power bandwidth

Attachments

• Bob D_2P Amplifier.asc
    10.9 KB · Views: 50
  • bob_d2p.PNG
    bob_d2p.PNG
    109.8 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
I went ahead and did some loop gain plot with the Tian probe trying to see what the stability margin we could anticipate. Here is my observation.

1. As is
I started out based on Mooly's LTspice schematic in post #20, with an extra 4R7 damping resistor across the output coil, and an extra 0.1uF capacitor across the Vbe multiplier.

The result doesn't look too good with gain margin at about mere 10dB, and some peaking in the amplitude there about.

2. C4-R24 network removed.
Saw major improvement in gain margin, now at 35dB, plenty, yet the peaking is still there.

3. damping R-C network put in at pre-driver transistors.
Loop gain Peaking is tamed, gain margin now at 33dB, still excellent.

A few years ago I did some simulation trying to get a handle about the behavior of a 5-pair 3EF output. See this post. Was not surprised to see the notorious peaking in the high frequencies. That simulation shows how the peaking respond to different source impedance, and that it can be tamed with a R-C shunt at its input. That seems to be why the R-C network at the pre-driver transistors worked.

Amazing! The snubbers work! Seems stable at the mo, can set the bias to any value and it's fine. 1kHz square wave shows ripple but no oscillation, still needs some some work and optimising but this has done the trick! Thanks!

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Some further feedback.

The base dampers are usually placed in the driver bases.

On the pre-drivers, you can insert a low value resistor (3.3 to 4.7 ohms works fine, although I have used as high as 10 Ohms). You then decouple the pre-driver collectors to ground with a good quality electrolytic capacitor of 5-10uF and a parallel film of 0.1uF.

This makes the EF3 absolutely bullet proof wrt stability. See Cordell where this is discussed in some depth.

I don't use any capacitor in parallel with the driver tie resistor anymore. Base storage in modern sustained beta devices (fT ~ 30 MHz) is low enough not to be of concern - different story of course on the old 21193/21194 devices (fT ~ 4MHz).

Re the ripple on your square wave tops - it can either be due to the output inductor OR your speaker cable resonating with some sort of capacitive load. The other possibility is that your rail localized decoupling is inadequate.

Last edited:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/35821-some-noise-measurements-leds-zener-diodes.html

higher Vz gives lower normalized noise and with 1% R we expect better than -30 dB CM to Diff conversion in the mirrored diff pair shown at 0.3 uV in a 20kHz BW the 12V Zener noise needent be an issue
Not directly for this amp but interesting:
Other studies show that it's better to stay below 6v with zeners to avoid the avalanche breakdown and its noise.

See especially the summary in following article:
Noise Behaviour of Zener Diodes

More studies:
Junction Noise Measurements

Gergard tests

Morgan Jones

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Its not just the ripple on the squarewave tops, what about the apparent lack of LF response.

To get something similar needs a response like this.

Looking at your sim diagram, the ringing is the output coil and output cap combo.

If you remove the output load cap, the ringing will stop.

Square wave slopes - will need to take another look.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I fiddled the sim (load/coil etc) to deliberately get the ringing but what I was really aiming to show was the LF roll off, the slant that is apparent on the top and bottom of the trace and trying to get it to look like Boscoe's actual scope shot.

wind your own is the usual diy solution

plenty of inductance calculators online

solenoid or toroidial

rember that the mag field reaches out a good distance from a solenoid's open ends

this can couple to circuit wiring loops, and ferromagnetic material interacting with the external solenoid field can cause distortion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.