Need help: Vutrax PCB design software

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do any of you use Vutrax?

I've been looking at it with the intention of using it to design power amp PCBs. I'm somewhat familiar with Eagle 4.11, hence with the basic concepts of how such eCAD packages work. But since Eagle's free version (or even its non-commercial paid-for version) limits the size of PCBs severely, I can't use it for some of the larger power amps (e.g. Randy Slone's OptiMOS). If I could, I'd have stuck to Eagle happily; it works well.

The only other good package available in trial versions on Linux is Vutrax. But in Vutrax (yes, I've gone through the tutorial) I don't seem to find any simple way to look at library components visually, see their shape, before deciding to add them to my drawing. In Eagle, I can click on any device in any library, and Eagle shows me a preview of the device's symbol and package drawing, based on which I can choose the one that tallies with what I need. I can do this before I click "OK" in Eagle and actually place the device. In Vutrax, is there such a browse-and-preview stage? The tutorial didn't seem to show up any such thing.

IN fact, in Vutrax, is there a place where I can scroll through the list of devices in a library, before I choose one? It appeared to me that the only way to select a device was to type in its name in an input field, without even knowing what else is there in the library.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As you can see, I'm absolutely a beginner in Vutrax, in spite of having done a few PCBs from start to finish in Eagle.

Tcpip,

I use Vutrax. Infact the 11.4 PCB we discussed was done in Vutrax.

Open a new file. Select scematic mode. Click on [symbol] - click on [retrieve] -- click on [From index lost. . .]

The library that comes with Vutrax is not as useful as it might be. Eventually, I've ended up creating all my own symbol/footprint libraries and de-indexing the ones that come with Vutrax. Vutrax seems to be oriented toward large formal organization where there is one guy whose job is to co-ordinate and administer the component library. It probably is very effective with regard to configuration control and maintenance of engineering standards.

For an individual user is big plusese are that it is free and has large upper limit on the size PCB you can layout. It also seems to be nearly bug free in the sense that it works the way it is claimed to work even though that can be quite awkward and puzzeling. If I could afford something with an easier interface I would buy it but that's hard to justify as I can get what I need out Vutrax even if it is irritating.

I am probably not using it with maxumun efficiency, but does work and all the Gerber files I've sent out have come back as good PCBs.

If you are still interested in my 11.4 layout, I could send you the Vutrax files. I can also send you my home made libraries.

THANKS!

sam9 said:
Boy! If I didn't believe in this forum, I'd be a convert after your post. :) Thanks a ton!

Open a new file. Select scematic mode. Click on [symbol] - click on [retrieve] -- click on [From index lost. . .]
I'll try this right away, and I'll come back if I have doubts.

The library that comes with Vutrax is not as useful as it might be.
Ouch. I guess one just lives with what one gets. How's the documentation, by the way? I still like Eagle a lot, so I guess I'll keep switching between the two depending on the type of board I'm designing.

For an individual user is big plusese are that it is free and has large upper limit on the size PCB you can layout.
Yes, this was what drove me to it too. You know, I was even thinking of paying for a non-professional licence of Eagle, but even after that, I'd get just 6"x4" board sizes max. How do I do OptiMOS and such-like with such limits? I think the Eagle policymakers need to do a re-think.

If you are still interested in my 11.4 layout, I could send you the Vutrax files. I can also send you my home made libraries.
Yes, please. Yes to both. This will be a huge leapfrogging opportunity for me. Do you have things like LM3875 done in Vutrax too?

Thanks a million, once again. :)

The Vutrax library...

sam9 said:
The library that comes with Vutrax is not as useful as it might be.
I got a chance to look through that library. A few points which hit me within five minutes were:
  • Even 2N3055, BC550, BD140 were missing from the libraries... the index search for these strings turned up nothing. To be fair, the NE5532 was there.
  • Probably half the entries in the library did not have any description, hence making it completely impossible to guess what they were. For some of them, even the model numbers were too cryptic to give any idea of their identities.
  • There were actually multiple entries with identical names. I don't know what to make of it.
So I guess the only way to work with this kind of library is to build a library of my own, with each and every part that I will need. Building a large enough set of passives will probably be the most time-consuming. Getting your library will probably be the best way to get started.

Ah, well. :) If Eagle had allowed larger boards for a reasonable licence fee, I'd gladly have paid. :)

Tcpip,

The library that comes with Vutrax is not as useful as it might be. Eventually, I've ended up creating all my own symbol/footprint libraries and de-indexing the ones that come with Vutrax. Vutrax seems to be oriented toward large formal organization where there is one guy whose job is to co-ordinate and administer the component library. It probably is very effective with regard to configuration control and maintenance of engineering standards.

For an individual user is big plusese are that it is free and has large upper limit on the size PCB you can layout. It also seems to be nearly bug free in the sense that it works the way it is claimed to work even though that can be quite awkward and puzzeling. If I could afford something with an easier interface I would buy it but that's hard to justify as I can get what I need out Vutrax even if it is irritating.

I am probably not using it with maxumun efficiency, but does work and all the Gerber files I've sent out have come back as good PCBs.

Hi, I am just starting with Vutrax on Linux and found the same problem ; the items I need are not in the librarys. i may not be driving it properly may also be part of it. Is there any chance to get a copy of your library

PCB design tools

Suigyodo online

Check the above link. if there is already a problem u might find something better here. how is Kicad? I heard its good.

I am not a professional or need pcb tool only once in a bluemoon. but when I surfed to find one for me. I realized few things.

1) Good Help files are needed. wish there was tutorial on youtube.

2) Wish there is builtin converter to convert any format like orcad protel or other, into its own format. and that too for whole pcb as well libraries.
3) if there is some error it should explain on own how to correct it.

ohh that was my wish list.

Last edited:
[*]There were actually multiple entries with identical names. I don't know what to make of it.

Thats a bit scary sounds like a bug.
In the software I use it only allows one of the same name in a library plus it will do a scan of the libraries for duplicated components.

I can only guess when you translate a sch to pcb it uses the first one it finds.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.