Kicking It with a Kenwood KA-2000!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone, James is back with his next project.

I picked up a Kenwood KA-2000 at a garage sale for $3 last summer. I cleaned it out and it worked fine. Yesterday I noticed it had developed a "hiss" in the speakers even at rest. I did some research and found a schematic on HIFIengine.

I studied the schematic and compared it to the unit and there are differences. The schematic is for the Trio version of the amp (British market) and has circuits for one phono and two aux channels. My unit has two phono - phono 1 and phono 2.

And, there are differences in what is in my amp on the pre-amp board and amp board component-wise.

First question is does anyone have a service manual for the American version of the KA-2000? I have searched the internet and find only the Trio one.

My best guess right now is a transistor is failing and I originally thought it must be in the phono circuit because the hiss is louder when set to either phono circuit with phono 2 being quite a bit louder than phono 1. Whereas, the aux and tuner settings are quiet.

Thoughts and suggestions are invited. I pulled the four transistors in the pre-amp section (2sc458) (schematic calls for 2sc350r and y) and they tested fine though one side had a slightly lesser hfe than the other. Each of the legs on the transistors was quite black. (I got a Peak DCA55 tester for my birthday).

The transistors on the amp board are four 2sc984 (little metal cans) where the schematic I have calls for 2sc734 transistors.

The one common factor is the schematic has a 2sc458 at Q9 and so does the unit.

?

James

The schematic calls for 4 2sc350 on the main board. On my unit there are 4 2sc458s all of which tested fine. They are not terribly similar though if I compare the data sheets and no online database names them as equivalents.

It looks like someone was in here before as I see indications as minor scorch marks on some wires where a soldering iron touched and the like. Does it make sense that since this unit has two phono options whereas the schematic only has one that is why I have different components? Confusing I must say.

You can save your 2SC458s. The problem is silver oxide needles that form between the 3 legs. Note the black legs? With a fine stainless steel tool scrape the area between the 3 legs, and most transistors will be magically restored!
www.tapeheads.net/showpost.php
Conflicting info in the post, I have always just changed out 'black leg' transistors and no more troubles.
That said the noise caused is flicker noise and not 'hiss' IIRC.

Dan.

Hi, Thanks for the reply. When you say "flicker" noise is that the same thing as oscillation? Oscillation seems to point to my power capacitors which look to be original.

Thanks, James

www.tapeheads.net/showpost.php
Conflicting info in the post, I have always just changed out 'black leg' transistors and no more troubles.
That said the noise caused is flicker noise and not 'hiss' IIRC.

Dan.

Hi, Thanks for the reply. When you say "flicker" noise is that the same thing as oscillation? Oscillation seems to point to my power capacitors which look to be original.

Thanks, James
Flicker noise is lower frequency erratic rumbling and bursting sounds.
Freeze spray is the way to go...use a hair dryer to warm up pcb area and lightly chill suspect components.

Dan.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi James,
Each of the legs on the transistors was quite black.
This is quite normal and will not cause any problems unless you're soldering to those areas. In that case, just clean the legs off with pliers or steel wool (careful to get rid of all fibres).

The 2SC458 transistors should be replaced for sure. Check the specs, but I think the 2SC945 will work well as a substitute. That's going off memory, so please do check before using them.

-Chris

I am not certain of the failure mode, suggestions I have been told/read is that silver oxide migrates across the package between pins causing leakage currents.
Other explanation is that the silver oxide transmits up the legs and causes leakage across the die.
Either way transistors with black legs may be ok, but are definitely suspect in situations of abnormal circuit noise.

Dan.

The subject of blackened leads goes round and round on nearly every forum I've seen. Many say it's simply oxidation and others say it's a sign that the encapsulation seal has failed. Whatever the reason for it, it seems it's always associated with noisy circuits. As anatech said the 2sc945 and 2sc1815 are common subs. I would personally go for ksc1845 or, if you can get "real" ones, the 2sc2240 since they occupy a phono pre and other parts where noise should be a concern.

Interestingly, I have the Peak DCA55 tester and I pulled each of the sc458 trannies on the pre board. They tested fine with zero leakage. That being said does not mean that they have not become overly noisy right?

James

The subject of blackened leads goes round and round on nearly every forum I've seen. Many say it's simply oxidation and others say it's a sign that the encapsulation seal has failed. Whatever the reason for it, it seems it's always associated with noisy circuits. As anatech said the 2sc945 and 2sc1815 are common subs. I would personally go for ksc1845 or, if you can get "real" ones, the 2sc2240 since they occupy a phono pre and other parts where noise should be a concern.

Comparison

Hi, I have seen a recommendation on audiokarma to replace the 2sc458 with a ksc1845 and here I see one for the 2sc1815.

The 1815 specs are:

Current - Collector (Ic) (Max)
150mA Voltage - Collector Emitter Breakdown (Max) 50V Vce Saturation (Max) @ Ib, Ic 250mV @ 10mA, 100mA Current - Collector Cutoff (Max) 100nA (ICBO) DC Current Gain (hFE) (Min) @ Ic, Vce 70 @ 2mA, 6V Power - Max 400mW Frequency - Transition 80MHz
Whereas the KSC1845 specs are:

Transistor Type
NPN Current - Collector (Ic) (Max) 50mA Voltage - Collector Emitter Breakdown (Max) 120V Vce Saturation (Max) @ Ib, Ic 300mV @ 1mA, 10mA Current - Collector Cutoff (Max) 500nA (ICBO) DC Current Gain (hFE) (Min) @ Ic, Vce 300 @ 1mA, 6V Power - Max 500mW Frequency - Transition 110MHz
To my uneducated eye, either one will work as the pre board is low voltage/low current. What I do not understand in my non-electronics brain is if there is a significance to the transition frequency?

Thanks, James

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.