Vintage Maplin 50W Amplifier and Pre-amp Kit - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2017, 12:48 AM   #1
roclite is offline roclite  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to roclite
Default Vintage Maplin 50W Amplifier and Pre-amp Kit

I just couldn't resist rescuing this assembled Maplin 50W amplifier kit on eBay, harking back to the good old days when Maplins were educational and before they started to sell crate-loads of Chinese junk. The seller had stripped the boards and transformer out of a poorly-built amplifier chassis and looking at the boards, you can probably understand why. I don't think the original constructor had too much idea and the amplifier boards are assembled badly with a mish-mash of different components e.g carbon, carbon film and metal film, vintage 1978 capacitors and flying-lead transistors. Clearly, his electronics scrap box was raided as the component source. The pre-amp board is not too bad and can be used as is but I will completely strip down the amplifier boards and start again with new components, taking the opportunity to use lower noise transistors and improve the capacitor decoupling. I have all the other components required already so lets hope I can get this amplifier up and running soon before I get too teary-eyed with nostalgia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RIMG0163.jpg (965.3 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg RIMG0164.jpg (883.9 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg RIMG0165.jpg (976.4 KB, 191 views)
Old 18th May 2017, 08:40 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Horrible little amplifier!
The schematics are available here https://www.scribd.com/doc/38418078/...35Q-Maplin-Kit
Have fun.
Old 18th May 2017, 08:48 AM   #3
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Not sure horrible is the right word tbh. It was quite an advanced (for diy) design back in the day.
Old 18th May 2017, 09:05 AM   #4
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I'm pretty sure this, or one very similar, has a Thread dedicated to it.

Remove those plastic bolts and replace with insulating "tophats" and steel bolts/screws/studs.
Old 18th May 2017, 09:09 AM   #5
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Can someone tell me/us how to run the three wires to the remote power devices?
a.) Twist all three?
b.) Twist Collector and Emitter and keep Base separate, but close, c.) base farther away?
d.) Run all three parallel with no gaps and base on the inside, or e.) Collector on the inside or f.) Emitter on the inside?
g.) Keep all three parallel but separated by 3mm again which (h & i) on the inside?
j.) Other options?
Old 18th May 2017, 09:32 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
Not sure horrible is the right word tbh. It was quite an advanced (for diy) design back in the day.
The reason why it was known as 'horrible' was down to the power transistor fixings coming loose. Just a poor finish but as you say, quite advanced for the 80s.
Old 18th May 2017, 09:55 AM   #7
roclite is offline roclite  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to roclite
Andrew T, thanks for the steer on similar threads. I want to completely re-build as per the original design but substitute better rated transistors/resistors and avoid instability problems. My nostalgia doesn't extend as far as trashing my JBL speakers.
Old 18th May 2017, 12:17 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Can someone tell me/us how to run the three wires to the remote power devices?
All three twisted is probably ok in most power devices. The capacitative coupling of the B to C would be small in relation to the intrinsic capacitance of the device and the current loop would be the smallest.
Old 18th May 2017, 12:20 PM   #9
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Hard wiring T03 devices to PCB's was common many years ago. Just look at old photos in service manuals and the like to see how it was done back then.
Old 18th May 2017, 12:29 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I have one of those. In less good state tho. I do mean to get it running again one day...

Hide this!Advertise here!