Why have Dual DAC's?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dual DAC chips are typically urilized as a means of increasing DAC system SNR by 3dB over that obtained from a single chip. In my view, those additional 3dB offer little to no practical value with today's sigma-delta modulated converters. It seems much more a game of marketing specification wars. In other words, SNR isn't limiting the subjective human perception of digital playback performance.

Objective improvements naturally tend to be made steadily along established parameter paths. So, engineers will wring even a few extra dBs of performance where they can in order to maintain or advance their product's position in the market. Gilding the Lilly is standard practice for high-end audio products.

Last edited:
Dual DAC chips are typically urilized as a means of increasing DAC system SNR by 3dB over that obtained from a single chip. In my view, those additional 3dB offer little to no practical value with today's sigma-delta modulated converters. It seems much more a game of marketing specification wars. In other words, SNR isn't limiting the subjective human perception of digital playback performance.

Objective improvements naturally tend to be made steadily along established parameter paths. So, engineers will wring even a few extra dBs of performance where they can in order to maintain or advance their product's position in the market. Gilding the Lilly is standard practice for high-end audio products.

I thought this may be the reasom.

Thanks!

but it commercially is simply wrong - only a tiny minority of boutique audiophile DACs ever paralleled the duals in a single package

a few more may have been used in balanced outputs - but the DAC internal architecture is better designed from the start for balanced output to give full advantage

when integration reached a point dual audio DACs were made for Stereo - saving package, placement, board area cost for Stereo device manufacturers

Last edited:
I doubt they're using the DAC portion of the PCM2706. Generally what happens on such designs is the PCM2706 is used to convert USB -> S/PDIF then this will be fed into the DIR9001 to give I2S (or similar) which goes to the WM8740. So yes they're using the two receivers to handle two kinds of inputs.

I agree with the others in that a single dac chip is adequate, more are acedemic. The 2706 isn't the greatest part for that task, btw, and would probably look for something with an xmos interface, or even an sa9223 if you are using a computer without the possibility of loading software.
Interesting that they would make such an arrangement with dual chips, then use that receiver chip...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.