Why have Dual DAC's? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2017, 04:34 AM   #1
rlaury is offline rlaury  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Why have Dual DAC's?

I've been looking at several standalone DAC's. I have found several
that offer dual DAC's. For eample: "DAC dual WM8740 DIR9001 PCM2706"
I don't understand having 2 DAC's.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 16th May 2017, 04:38 AM   #2
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Stereo

multiplexing a single DAC with quality S&H went extinct as DAC cost went down
Old 16th May 2017, 05:12 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Dual DAC chips are typically urilized as a means of increasing DAC system SNR by 3dB over that obtained from a single chip. In my view, those additional 3dB offer little to no practical value with today's sigma-delta modulated converters. It seems much more a game of marketing specification wars. In other words, SNR isn't limiting the subjective human perception of digital playback performance.

Objective improvements naturally tend to be made steadily along established parameter paths. So, engineers will wring even a few extra dBs of performance where they can in order to maintain or advance their product's position in the market. Gilding the Lilly is standard practice for high-end audio products.

Last edited by Ken Newton; 16th May 2017 at 05:23 AM.
Old 16th May 2017, 05:27 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Newton View Post
Dual DAC chips are typically urilized as a means of increasing DAC system SNR by 3dB over that obtained from a single chip. In my view, those additional 3dB offer little to no practical value with today's sigma-delta modulated converters. It seems much more a game of marketing specification wars. In other words, SNR isn't limiting the subjective human perception of digital playback performance.

Objective improvements naturally tend to be made steadily along established parameter paths. So, engineers will wring even a few extra dBs of performance where they can in order to maintain or advance their product's position in the market. Gilding the Lilly is standard practice for high-end audio products.
I thought this may be the reasom.

Thanks!
Old 16th May 2017, 05:36 AM   #5
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

but it commercially is simply wrong - only a tiny minority of boutique audiophile DACs ever paralleled the duals in a single package

a few more may have been used in balanced outputs - but the DAC internal architecture is better designed from the start for balanced output to give full advantage

when integration reached a point dual audio DACs were made for Stereo - saving package, placement, board area cost for Stereo device manufacturers

Last edited by jcx; 16th May 2017 at 05:47 AM.
Old 16th May 2017, 06:07 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

This unit I've been looking at has two DIFFERENT DAC's. It has the Wolfson WM8740
and the TI PCM2706. It also uses the DIR9001 receiver interface chip. The PCM2700 sports a USB/AES input. The Wolfson is serial only input. Could they be using 2 different DAC's to cover the various inputs?
Old 16th May 2017, 06:16 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
I doubt they're using the DAC portion of the PCM2706. Generally what happens on such designs is the PCM2706 is used to convert USB -> S/PDIF then this will be fed into the DIR9001 to give I2S (or similar) which goes to the WM8740. So yes they're using the two receivers to handle two kinds of inputs.
Old 16th May 2017, 06:18 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hey thanks. This place is great! It's always good to be able
to discuss ideas!

RonL
Old 16th May 2017, 08:03 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Digital Line Level - diyAudio
Old 16th May 2017, 09:55 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

and the ess9018 had some Chanel lock problems, one of the fixes was to use 2 chips..

Hide this!Advertise here!