My amp produces very little sound, how can I fix it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When I got my bass (used) I also got a Fender BXR 60 watt bass amp. A couple months ago when I was playing it just went quiet. Whenever I turn it on now it makes very little noise, you have to put your ear up to the speaker just to hear it when it's full blast. The noise that comes out doesn't really seem to be affected by whether or not something is plugged in, mainly the volume and EQ knobs. I finally got around to taking it all the way apart, and I tried fiddling around with it until I realized that I had no idea what I was doing. Does anybody have any idea what may be wrong? It'd be a big help to me, because I've taken it apart which took about an hour to figure out, and I don't want to put it back together and pay $70 to get it fixed. Thanks.

Also, I'm new here, but I've read a few threads already, and realize that I don't know jack about amps, so could you answer this in plain english please?:rolleyes: Thanks a lot.

Not enough Info

I'm sorry but it could be so many things. The information supplied is insufficient to give you an answer. Look for loose connections. Beyond that, you need to do tests with a meter. If you don't have one, and you don't know what you're doing, I do suggest paying someone to look at it once you can afford it.

Or buy another amp at a pawn shop.

Is there any other information you can give on it's failure, were you using it and it just went dead or was it fine one day and you turned it on the next day and nothing?

Was there any smoke or smell, when looking at the board are any transistors cracked or maybe discoloration on the board underneath any components?

The sound you spoke of is it musical, like you strum the guitar or whatever and can hear a faint noise of the guitar playing, or is it just noise/static?

Can take a picture of the amp board and post it here for us to look at.

I suggest you take it to a repair shop or be a quick study in electronics or it may never work again.

I was using it and there was a noise, I forget if it was that loud or not, an then it just went off.

At first it made a little sound that was mainly based on the volume and EQ knobs and would crackle very slightly when something was put into the input. Then, after messing around with some stuff, it played a little of the instrument. I was messing around with it again, doing stuff that was probably stupid to do, when the fuse blew, and there was a spark somewhere. Now I know this can't be good, but how bad is it, or is this still to general. Is there still a chance to fix it, because I may just take it in to the shop then.

I unfortunately couldn't find a schematic for the 60 so I don't know how similar it is to the bxr 100 that google found but I looked at a few other Fender shcems and they all look similar, so here it is

http://www.mrgearhead.net/faq/schematics/fender/BXR 100 Schematic -11x17.pdf

But you said you don't know much about electronics so if you’re not good with a vom or at least soldering then I wouldn't attempt to repair it.

Good luck,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.