Help with a Darlington

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings!

I've got my hands on a Schneider Studio 80 compact system.
Honestly i made a lots of amplifiers with TDA ICs, but i only made solid state amps a long time now. So please, be gentle with me, i try to take out my best on this! :)

I found a darlington amp in it, and since it has the power supply in it also working, i decided to save the amp from it. But it has BDX33A - BDX34A pairs, and i searched over the internet countless times to find any schematics without any luck.

If anyone know any kind ot circuits or schematics, which uses these pairs, i would be really glad!

Thank you very much all for the helps!

To be sure, and to share some oldschool vibes, here is an image :D

G6f5gXX.jpg

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Yes, they are all pretty much generic type devices and should be pretty much interchangeable with few changes needed. The diagram I posted would ideally need the two diodes and R5 replacing with a traditional vbe multiplier (the little transistor on the heatsink in your photo) as that would allow accurate setting of bias current and also maintain that current with temperature variations.

Thanks again for the great help! :)
Is there any info on how strong are these darlingtons, i mean if there was any failure, (i've got it from a friend's dad) how quickly can get damaged those transistors? I really hope that i can save the amp part of this system. To be honest, everything seems to be working, only one major error is present, one of the fuse is die every time badly. I didn't had the time yet to analise further the problem's root, i just hope that it didn't damaged the amps main parts!

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I seem to remember some Philips audio products using similar-ish devices. We had a few failures but I suspect it was probably more down to customer abuse as much as anything.

In a modest amplifier for domestic use they should be fine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.