JLH 10 Watt class A amplifier - Page 62 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th December 2003, 11:41 AM   #611
eLarson is offline eLarson  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by paulb

Aha! Something I can help with. I think that was Ronald Reagan.
No, it is a different governor of California.

eL
(and he said it in many, many of his films)
Old 19th December 2003, 12:14 PM   #612
Geoff is offline Geoff  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Actually it was Thijs in post 592.
Old 19th December 2003, 04:21 PM   #613
Tyimo is offline Tyimo  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Default PSU Voltage

Hi!
Some other kind of question:
What is the max PSU voltage for the JLH 1996 version?
I have a nice 300VA 2X24 V Hipersil transformator and I would like to use for the JLH updated amp, in a non-regulated PSU, but I don't know the 30V isn't too high?
(Somewhere I read that 60 V is the max and 40 V is the optimum for the 1969 version.)
Thanks
Old 19th December 2003, 04:48 PM   #614
Account Disabled

I am running 36v on my mosfet 1969 version. it works fine.

I don't consider rail rail voltage being a big factor, especially with BJTs as they are a lot more efficient than my mosfets. the thing has a gain of 10x, so it is about 5v each half wave. Plus may be 5 - 6v for the output devices, you should have at least 2x(5+6)=20v in rail voltage for it to work.

a higher voltage will limit your ability to use high Iq on the output devices as you may be approaching the SOA of your output devices.

I am sure you can go through similar calculations with the rual rail version.
Old 19th December 2003, 04:52 PM   #615
Account Disabled

Default Re: PSU Voltage

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyimo
(Somewhere I read that 60 V is the max and 40 V is the optimum for the 1969 version.)
Thanks

on a 2nd thought, if you ran the 1969 at 1.5amp iq. it would dissipate about 90w total under 60v rails. That means about 45w each output device. so you probably need transistors rated at 150w.

for 40v, you are talking about 60w total and 30w each. in the ball park for the IRFs I am using (I think they are rated at around 100w).
Old 19th December 2003, 05:05 PM   #616
diyAudio Member

So I'm back...

I just build MOSFET version to see if it would work,how it would sound and how it would behave...

The IRF540's that I bought were tested for Vgs threshold: both around 3.7Vfor 500mA,give or take 50 to 100mV because the heatsink get warm while testing and this makes the Vgs shift.

I build Millwoods versionwith slightlydifferent component values:

input bias : 2 x 100K, 15K/22uF for Vsupply-smoothing
first gain stage : 2 x4.7K, BC560C, 100R/220uF
Bootstrap : 776Ohm / 220uF
second stage: 470R, BD139,470R
MOSFET: 100R gate snoopers, 0.5R source resistors
Vsupply: 30V regulated lab supply

I behaved very nicly.. looked stable on my scope when idle, so I connectedmy speakers...: sounds nice..but just one channel build so nothing definite..

But:
The Ibias is not proportional to Vsupply, but suddely starts and rises very sharply after that. This design is very, very depended on Vsupply.I think 1volt makes 300mA difference... This is offcourse due to the transductance charateristics of the MOSFETs.
I think this design needs a regulated supply,which I has at hand.

I had to set Ibias to 600mA, because of the small heat sink. I did this by putting 2k2 parralel to my 1k2 resistor (too low bias): makeing 776R (about right)

Then I tested some test signal... everything looks ver clean. But on a 20KHz square wave there was servere ringing. So I tried to stop that by putting 150pF across the 1K feedback resistor...
OOOOOOOoopps suddely I bias wentuptot 3.1A and it started to smell bad

I'm sorry,I should have been more carefull,but I was so curious..hmmm after inspection it looks like the driver is blown.

Do any of you have a better suggestion how to stabilize the amp in a simple way,savely?

That's it for now.. butI'll be back...

best regards,
Thijs
Old 19th December 2003, 05:16 PM   #617
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by tschrama
I had to set Ibias to 600mA, Thijs
that may be a little on the low side. I would go to 1amp.

Quote:
Originally posted by tschrama
That's it for now.. butI'll be back...
Thijs
sounds like an interesting experience. sorry that I cannot help you on the ringing thing.

did you get turn-on thump? I did with mine and I am struggling to figure out how to cure it.
Old 19th December 2003, 05:49 PM   #618
diyAudio Member

Yeh,your right about the bias, but I don't have the money to buy a larger heatsink actually,I don't have any at the moment, jsut enough to get me some MOSFETs.. I made the thing out of parts the were stolen from other equipment,I only had to buy the MOSFET's.. (still 2,20Euro/pcs)

BTW.. I found out that the MOSFET version will do over 20V/uS slwrate with 100pF acroos the 1K FD resistor.. that not bad.. not bad at all!!

but I'm still a bit and about blowing up my version.. this is actualle the first time I blow a power amp...I soooooo hope the MOSFET are OK... we'll see

I do have a turn-on bump.. I thing this is because the 15K/470uF bias stabilization... it makes the amp draw twice the current for a moment or two...actuallymore than that

Geoff are you still there?? Any wise words for me?

Regards,
Thijs
Old 19th December 2003, 06:28 PM   #619
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by millwood
I don't consider rail rail voltage being a big factor, especially with BJTs as they are a lot more efficient than my mosfets. the thing has a gain of 10x, so it is about 5v each half wave. Plus may be 5 - 6v for the output devices, you should have at least 2x(5+6)=20v in rail voltage for it to work.
Sorry Millwood, but could you please explain parts of this paragraph. I don't understand what you are saying.

"the thing has a gain of 10x, so it is about 5v each half wave."

The standard JLH has a closed-loop gain of approximately 13 but this has no bearing on the selection of supply rail voltage unless one is designing on the basis of input sensitivity rather than output power (which is not the usual way). For example, for a 1Vrms input and a gain of 13, the maximum output voltage will be 13Vrms, or 36.8Vp-p. The supply rail will need to be this voltage plus an allowance for the voltdrop across the output transistor and any allowance necessary for the preceeding Iq control circuitry (nothing for the bootstrap circuit, but around 3V for the 1996 TR5 arrangement). So that gives a single 40V rail or a split supply of +/-22V.

"Plus may be 5 - 6v for the output devices, "

I have yet to find a BJT that requires more than 1V at the current we are talking about (2-3A).
Old 19th December 2003, 06:53 PM   #620
diyAudio Member

Default Re: PSU Voltage

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyimo
Hi!
Some other kind of question:
What is the max PSU voltage for the JLH 1996 version?
I have a nice 300VA 2X24 V Hipersil transformator and I would like to use for the JLH updated amp, in a non-regulated PSU, but I don't know the 30V isn't too high?
Thanks
The answer to your question depends on what load impedance you intend to drive. If your speakers are 15ohm (very rare these days) and their impedance does not drop below this figure, then +/-30V supply rails and a quiescent current of 1.4A would be ideal. However most modern speakers use 4 ohm bass units to 'improve' the sensitivity specification and so the optimum balance is for lower supply rail voltages and a higher quiescent current. You could use the higher rail voltage, but this would lead to a lower peak power availability and greater inefficiency (which is not high to start off with :-)

I think you have two options. One is to use the +/-30V rails and parallel output transistors so that the quiescent current can be increased and some efficiency restored. However, there will be a limit on how far the current can be raised due to the VA rating of the transformer (particularly if you intend to use a single transformer to feed both channels). Also, this may not be cost effective (the extra heatsinks etc required will not be be cheap), particularly if you do not need the extra power. It would probably be cheaper to by a new transformer with the correct secondary voltage

The other is to parallel the transformer secondaries and have a single 30V rail. This will require the use of an output capacitor, a device not favoured by many people. However, you would be able to set the quiescent current to 2.7A (with only single output transistors) which would give an output power of nearly 25W (50Wpeak) into 4ohm.

Geoff

Hide this!Advertise here!