Amp output low on one channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, have a little problem with an amp. Right channel output is fine, left channel is very low, when you switch the balance from right to left, you still have sound from both channel's, and sound level is about the same from both channel's. Source makes no difference, sound through headphones is the same as through the speakers. Have visually checked boards, checked all cable connection's, nothing leaps out. Am I right to assume that if an output transistor has blown then one channel would be completely dead, and more likely a capacitor. Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Failed (shorted) output transistors would result in a dead amp.

It could be anything... you need to do basic checks, ideally using a scope to see if the power amp/s are receiving similar amplitude input signals.

Speaker relays can give low sound but that problem is usually intermittent and can be 'cleared' by turning the volume up a bit.

It could be cap in the signal path... again a scope would nail that one quickly.

OK thanks, but the the bit I can't understand, is the fact that you get sound through both channel's at the same level when the balance control is turned to left channel only, and when you turn the balance back to the centre position, left channel stays as is, low, right channel comes up to normal level. Is this a problem that could be caused by a capacitor?, thanks.

Have trawled the net, unable to find any service literature, its a Rank arena gt2000, no sign of it being dropped, but there are signs of previous repairs to the circuit board's, I think I will look at disassembling the unit and slowly going over all joints and checking the boards out. Is this type of fault unlikely to be capacitor related, more likely to be circuit board damage or a soldered joint somewhere?, has no one else experienced a similar problem.

Thanks for the link, and yes, did expect balance control to cut one channel's output out completely, but it doesn't. Have now disassembled the whole unit, nothing visually shows up, so will look closer at the balance pot which is a dual function pot including a switchable loudness function. Plan be is bin the amp and tuner, mount the Lenco B55 into a nice plinth and hook it up to the HiFi.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.