Build NAC 42 single end preamp Build NAC 42 single end preamp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Build NAC 42 single end preamp
Build NAC 42 single end preamp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2017, 08:02 AM   #1
dsch is offline dsch
diyAudio Member

Default Build NAC 42 single end preamp

Hello,

I want to build a nac 42 preamp clone and search for a circuit with mods,
can somebody help me to find it?

Pls with a description of the right capacitors, which are the best for the circuit.

A other question I search for the transistors ZTX384/214 and it's not possible to find it, which transistors can I use also to replace the ZTX?

Thanks in advance

Regards
Old 18th April 2017, 08:39 AM   #2
Old'n'Cranky is offline Old'n'Cranky  Australia
diyAudio Member

Sure thats easy.
Start your search here.
Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.
Old 18th April 2017, 08:44 AM   #3
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

ZTX384/214
BC550/560 might be a suitable replacement. Correct or better parameters and correct pin outs
Old 18th April 2017, 09:23 AM   #4
dsch is offline dsch
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnell Electronic View Post
ZTX384/214
BC550/560 might be a suitable replacement. Correct or better parameters and correct pin outs
Thanks!

I will take this both.

But I see there are existing BC560/550 and BC560C/BC550C, can I also take this both?

Regards

Last edited by dsch; 18th April 2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 18th April 2017, 10:11 AM   #5
dsch is offline dsch
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsch View Post
Thanks!

I will take this both.

But I see there are existing BC560/550 and BC560C/BC550C, can I also take this both?

Regards
I found that the 3 versions of the BC550/560 (ABC) has a different value

A: min 125 max 260
B: min 240 max 500
C: min 450 max 900

Which one is the best in my case for the NAC42 ?
Old 18th April 2017, 04:15 PM   #6
dsch is offline dsch
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I have here some 2SD667/2SD647 can I also use this for the preamp?
Old 18th April 2017, 05:00 PM   #7
Ian Finch is offline Ian Finch  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsch View Post
.... 2SD667/2SD647 can I also use this for the preamp?
These high voltage drivers are better suited for use in the power amplifier VAS, rather than low level circuits. That's not to say they won't work at all but the types already suggested will be better in the NAC preamp design.

If you search in the right places, you'll see that "C" grade parts are specified; http://www.acoustica.org.uk/ then navigate to More Naim stuff/The Naim DIY preamp mods bible.

Last edited by Ian Finch; 18th April 2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old 18th April 2017, 05:27 PM   #8
dsch is offline dsch
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Finch View Post
These high voltage drivers are better suited for use in the power amplifier VAS, rather than low level circuits. That's not to say they won't work at all but the types already suggested will be better in the NAC preamp design.

If you search in the right places, you'll see that "C" grade parts are specified; Just one thing about music - when it hits you feel no pain then navigate to More Naim stuff/The Naim DIY preamp mods bible.
Hi Ian,

I can find only the BC550/560 but not index "C".
Is the BC550C and BC560C the right choice and the best choice?
Old 18th April 2017, 06:09 PM   #9
Ian Finch is offline Ian Finch  Australia
diyAudio Member

At the specified supply voltage of 24V, BC549C/559C (if available) would probably work fine too. You don't show us where you live so it's pointless trying to suggest where you should be looking to buy components. However, as obsolete, through-hole transistors go, you should have no trouble finding BC550C/560C at professional parts distributors like Mouser, Digikey, Farnell element 14, RS components and many other authorized independent distributors - world wide.

Don't rely on Chinese Ebay stores because you don't really know what generic part or fake is really inside the unbranded stuff you buy. For example, your 2SD667/B647 won't be genuine anyway - how would you know what they really were? Here's my current order for genuine Fairchild /On Semi parts as an illustration of what to buy - other brands use different suffixes to describe leads and packing variations:
Attached Images
File Type: png Mouser order.PNG (29.3 KB, 213 views)

Last edited by Ian Finch; 18th April 2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 18th April 2017, 08:29 PM   #10
dsch is offline dsch
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Finch View Post
At the specified supply voltage of 24V, BC549C/559C (if available) would probably work fine too. You don't show us where you live so it's pointless trying to suggest where you should be looking to buy components. However, as obsolete, through-hole transistors go, you should have no trouble finding BC550C/560C at professional parts distributors like Mouser, Digikey, Farnell element 14, RS components and many other authorized independent distributors - world wide.

Don't rely on Chinese Ebay stores because you don't really know what generic part or fake is really inside the unbranded stuff you buy. For example, your 2SD667/B647 won't be genuine anyway - how would you know what they really were? Here's my current order for genuine Fairchild /On Semi parts as an illustration of what to buy - other brands use different suffixes to describe leads and packing variations:
Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply.

I live in Germany, I will order the parts from RS or reichelt.

Regards

Build NAC 42 single end preampHide this!Advertise here!