Conrad Johnsen mf2500 problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Conrad Johnsen mf2500 fault

Hi, have had this for a while but have never tried it :)
Anyway - replaced all fuses (3 were blown) just to test. On fuse on the back and 2 on the pcb.
Connected a DMM on each loudspeaker terminal and fired up.
Left channel showd 72Vdc :eek: - Right channel ~100mV.
After some seconds a bit of smoke appeared somewhere on the board.

It is late here now and bed time... I will take some pictures on a later occasion.
Any initial typical faults that I could be aware of? Blown transistors maybe?

Looks as one or two resistors are blown but I guess it is a reason why that has happened?
I know this is not much to go after....

Last edited:
Some pictures.

First is a overview of the amp.
Second is the area which I saw smoke. However I cannot visually see a problem there.
Third I noticed afterwards that what seems as a cap or resistor has been toast.

I will take everything apart on a later occation :)

Attachments

• Overview.jpg
    Overview.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 140
  • edit1.png
    edit1.png
    948.2 KB · Views: 132
  • edit2.jpg
    edit2.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 123
it would be a good idea for you to build a "dim bulb tester" before you dig deeper into your amp.
had you had this before your initial power up you could have determined there was a fault without causing additional damage.
there's info here at DIYaudio as well as google links about it.

Yes of course. I think the damage was already done when I bought it. It was sold as defunct.
Some power transistors are also toast. At least 1 2sc3281 toshiba. Havent desoldered the 2sa1302 yet but at least one is fried.
On fuse holder was also bad and broken to the pcb.
Bastard work dissasembling of this amp.
Waiting for a Variac also.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.