Jean Hiraga Super Class A 30w Build

temperature contact of transistors

Attachments

• Hiraga-AB_Lateral_SCH_thermal-contact.png
    Hiraga-AB_Lateral_SCH_thermal-contact.png
    41.2 KB · Views: 2,480
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I was wondering has any of you speculated in using a switch to set bias in say two steps, high low?
My hiraga iddles at 1.65 amps, for low level listening 1 amp bias would be adequate, or am I wrong?
It's time to think a bit green.
Jean-Hiraga-Super-30W-Class-A-Amplifier-Schematic.jpg
In the attached figure: You may add a resistor between the 180 ohm/33 kohm node in the upper leg (base of 2SC1775A) to the 240 ohm/33 kohm node in the lower leg (base of 2SA872A). The resistor value has to be chosen after your desired bias setting.

Last edited:
Hiraga 30W LT Spice Simulation

More than 5 years back I built Jim's version of the 30W amplifier but had some problems (which I've since forgotten what they were) on the test bed.
Having a ± 32.5V DC supply handy in a 4U Modushop amp case with 2 by 0.38 °C/W heatsinks available (Modushop values).
So I thought that I would simulate these amps with LT Spice and see if I could successfully drop the quiescent current to suit these heatsinks.
Changing the values of Q1/Q2 emitter resistances (nominally 33K) and/or Q3/Q4 collector resistors (nominally 1K5) one can successfully change the quiescent current.
Using a simulated 1 KHz input wave at 1.0V the 1KHz waveform looks fine - no problem.
However, as I've done with other designs, I added an 'RLoad' resistance between the output and ground at a value of 8 ohms - which is when it all went 'pear shaped' (in actual fact the output waveform looked more 'pear shaped' than sinusoidal) :confused:
Simulations were run with the low power transistors as per the ones supplied with the kit (2SA/2SC), Q5/Q6 MJE15034/MJE15035 with Q7/Q8 varied.
In all the cases of the output transistors I've tried, the 1KHz sine wave becomes asymmetrical- and crossover distortion occurs at ± 0V.
Values I've obtained are (Transistor pair - Model supplier - Positive peak voltage, negative peak voltage):
NJW1302G/3281G - OnSemi - 24.4V, -5.3V
NJW1302D/3281D - OnSemi - 24.2V, -17.1V
MJL1302C/3281C - Bob Cordell(?) - 24.4V, -18.8V
2SA1295/2SC3264 - Sanken(?) - 24.1V, -16.2V
It would seem that the actual SP3 models give quite variable results. However, in non of the transistor models used was the simulated output 'OK' when an 8 ohm 'dummy load' was attached to the output.
I've previously run simulations on amps such as Andrew's kX Ovation Amp, JLH 15W and ESP's 60W class AB amp, with an 8 ohm dummy load, and using the NJW and 2SA/2SC transistor models and seen nothing similar to this distorted waveform.

Perhaps it's an issue with the models in this specific design?
Might be my LT schematic but I've checked a few times and all looks well until the 8R dummy load is attached.
Suggestions/comments most welcome.

Attached is an image of the first waveform using the OnSemi NJW model (Worst Case)

Attachments

• NJW - OnSemi Model - 1KHz.JPG
    NJW - OnSemi Model - 1KHz.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 277
My Jean Hiraga amplifier under construction

I am in the construction of the amplifier and the housing, I have a doubt, the amplifiers will be powered ± 35V, I want the amplifiers to work at a polarization of 1.9 A or if possible more, it is enough to cool with the radiators in the picture (ie separate) or to add a 12mm thick aluminum plate to combine the radiators for better cooling?
The power supply will be RCLC will have 2 * 47000uF / 80V Mundorf M-Lytic HC (High Current Power) and 6 capacitors 60000uF / 50V (3 capacitors on one branch), RCLC, R = 2.2 ohms, C1 = 47mF, C2 = 60mF; L 19mH (1.9 ohms) with a simple 500VA transformer; 230VAC; 25V; 25V; 10A; 10A (55183-P1S2 TALEMA), please if I made a mistake somewhere at the source or radiator to correct me or other ideas. Thanks for understanding

QYKJSFX.jpg

OVmcmWk.jpg

TgHGmxK.jpg

5AF92Ue.jpg

lxIrhyY.jpg

NT3XTk2.jpg

lXWYJeW.jpg

USEvrQk.jpg

k7v636O.jpg

O0DZbpu.jpg

1KA9G6i.jpg

UDEGyAb.jpg