DIY Silk screen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Solder mask, lettering, etc is normally applied with silk screens and wiping appropriate inks or coatings. I've heard that you can make your own, but can't find sources for the materials. Anybody have a link or two?

BTW is the resolution of a silkscreen adequate for PC Board traces? Seems it might be the ticket for making multiples once you have a screen.

Thanks.

Any art supply store will have everything you need for silk screening. It's dead easy. For simple screening, supplies will run well under $100. To do something fancier, you may need to budget another c-note.

Indeed, you can screen resist material for most normal boards. With a fine mesh, well-stretched screen, photoemulsion, proper orientation, and decent resist ink, 1/4mm trace/space can be done routinely.

SY said:
Indeed, you can screen resist material for most normal boards. With a fine mesh, well-stretched screen, photoemulsion, proper orientation, and decent resist ink, 1/4mm trace/space can be done routinely.

Yup. Back in the 80s I had a really nice setup using a 300 tpi stainless steel screen on an aluminum frame. Wish I could remember the name of the company I got my supplies from. They used to send out 400 page catalogs with everything anyone could need. I think I paid no more than $100 or so for that custom screen. And it was big. About 20 x 20 inches.

se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.