Audiolab 8000A Fault - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2004, 10:59 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Audiolab 8000A Fault

Hi,

After 14 years of loyal service, my Audiolab 8000a has just developed a fault. I get a constant 'thin' output from the left channel regardless of volume or balance control position. Defeating the tone controls also makes no difference. I've also connected the pre-amp output to another power amp and the fault is still there so it looks like the problem is with the pre-amp stage. Also I've connected the 'record' output from one of the tape recorders inputs to another amplifier and this works OK, so the fault lies between the record output stage and the pre-amp output stage. Can anyone help or does anyone have a circuit diagram / PCB layout drawing for one of these amps ?

Many Thanks
Old 20th June 2005, 08:45 AM   #2
Enric is offline Enric  Spain
diyAudio Member

My Audiolab 8000A has just developed a fault. I get a constant low output from the volume control position. I've control the volume with the remote control of the CD source. So, one day, some components of the circuit burned and no tecnical support are avaiabla because the constructor is out. The burned components are so black that's impossible see the values, for eventually replace it. Can anyone help or does anyone have a circuit diagram / PCB layout drawing for one of these amps ?
Old 20th June 2005, 06:45 PM   #3
mikeks is offline mikeks  United Kingdom
Account Disabled

..has either of you even bothered to run a search on the forum before posting..?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...296#post651296
Old 20th June 2005, 07:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

on the burned components, can you read the values off the same part in the *other* channel, or is this in some common stage like the power supply (should be pretty generic)?
Old 20th June 2005, 08:32 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

About the burned components, I can't read the values off the same part in the other channel, I can't find the "twin" components. I think they are be pretty generic, and the location is near from the power supply. Exactly between the channels and the power supply. Some of they are a resistor or resistence.
Old 22nd June 2005, 07:51 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Audiolab 8000A fault

Hi,

I have news about my problem. So, the burned componets seem to belong to a one of the channels, but it's not easy to find the same in the other channel because the disposition of the components is different. One of these looks like a diode in the diagram of Steven, but in the circuit it is a resistor. (?)

Thanks, specially mikers & Dr. Photon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg burned components.jpg (33.0 KB, 1114 views)
Old 1st July 2005, 10:04 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I attached two images, but only one has appear. The other image is the situation of the burned components, respect the complete circuit.

Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg audiolab 8000a circuit.jpg (47.0 KB, 1058 views)
Old 29th September 2007, 02:34 PM   #8
Woody78 is offline Woody78  Spain
diyAudio Member

Default Audiolab 8000a fualt

I have the same problem, but after inspection I cannot find any burnt components. Are there any fuses on the board that could have burnt.
Please let me know.
Old 29th September 2007, 02:46 PM   #9
Woody78 is offline Woody78  Spain
diyAudio Member

Default Audiolab 8000A problem

Hello everybody,

I just bought a used Audiolab 8000A amp. After unpoacking it appeared that the right channel always gives a very low output, regardless of the volume. I also connected another amp to the pre-amp output with the same result.
On the board no noticeble damage is present. What could have happened, does anyone know if the 8000A has any internal fuses that could have blown.
I found the same problem in another thread, but no solution was given.
Thank you very much.
Old 29th September 2007, 02:59 PM   #10
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I wonder if it is a broken volume control?
Try connecting to tape out to hear/measure if the signals match.
try connecting your input to a different input RCA, again comparing at the pre-amp outputs and tape outputs.

As you can see, with a two channel multi-input/output you have a lot of options to find bits that work and try to home in on the bits that don't.

Hide this!Advertise here!