Technics SA-GX303 relay clicking

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just picked up a Technics SA-GX303. Here's whats happening...everytime I turn it on, everything is fine for the first 10 minutes...then the relay clicks 3 times...then it never happens again..untill I shut it off and turn it back on. So basically, power on...10 mins later *click*...few more minutes after that *click*...few more mins *click*...and thats it...after that it plays all day long. What am I dealing with here??

Before investigating deeper first of all check all the speaker connections for any stray strands at the amp outputs and speakers themselves there could be a slight short thats triggering protection intermittently without shutting down , does the sonnd dropout when it clicks?

ACS, this kind of intermittent problem can be hard to track down and I don't need to repeat all the reasons that d.c. coupled amps can fail. I have one that does this for the last few years and I can't seem to find the problem. First, hook up your meter to the speaker terminals (better yet the input to the relay) and monitor the d.c. offset. Confirm that wandering d.c. offset is in fact putting the amp into protection. Also note which direction the d.c. offset seems to go.

Sometimes the amp can be OK, but the protection circuit itself can develop problems with failing capacitors, transistors, etc. After your experiments, why not post your findings? Another pain is always oxidized bias potentiometer that becomes intermittent. Here is your summer project.

RA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.