Technics SA-GX303 relay clicking - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2017, 11:06 PM   #1
ACS is offline ACS
diyAudio Member

Default Technics SA-GX303 relay clicking

Just picked up a Technics SA-GX303. Here's whats happening...everytime I turn it on, everything is fine for the first 10 minutes...then the relay clicks 3 times...then it never happens again..untill I shut it off and turn it back on. So basically, power on...10 mins later *click*...few more minutes after that *click*...few more mins *click*...and thats it...after that it plays all day long. What am I dealing with here??
Old 21st March 2017, 11:39 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Before investigating deeper first of all check all the speaker connections for any stray strands at the amp outputs and speakers themselves there could be a slight short thats triggering protection intermittently without shutting down , does the sonnd dropout when it clicks?
Old 21st March 2017, 04:27 PM   #3
ACS is offline ACS
diyAudio Member

Theres no speakers hooked up to it, it is only being used ad a preamp to drive a crown xls drivecore 2 series. When the relay clicks the sound drops out or pops yes
Old 21st March 2017, 06:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

How have you hooked it up to the Crown ?
Old 21st March 2017, 06:16 PM   #5
ACS is offline ACS
diyAudio Member

I soldered rca's to the input signal pins on the amp IC to make a preout. Pins 13 & 15 on the 3206 IC. Thats irrelevant to the relay issue, as it was doing it before i made the modification
Old 21st March 2017, 06:16 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

ACS, this kind of intermittent problem can be hard to track down and I don't need to repeat all the reasons that d.c. coupled amps can fail. I have one that does this for the last few years and I can't seem to find the problem. First, hook up your meter to the speaker terminals (better yet the input to the relay) and monitor the d.c. offset. Confirm that wandering d.c. offset is in fact putting the amp into protection. Also note which direction the d.c. offset seems to go.

Sometimes the amp can be OK, but the protection circuit itself can develop problems with failing capacitors, transistors, etc. After your experiments, why not post your findings? Another pain is always oxidized bias potentiometer that becomes intermittent. Here is your summer project.

RA

Hide this!Advertise here!