Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th November 2006, 04:35 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hurtig,

“Very popular” does not mean better, accurate, or repeatable. It may sound different, and theoretically does not contain “feedback induced harmonics,” (which still does not hold up under scrutiny as far as I’m concerned) but is not representative of an amplified input signal.

I have listened to LOTS of equipment, including vinyl and local-feedback-only equipment, and have designed lots of equipment, and sure, some equipment “sounds” different, but sounding “better” is extremely subjective. I’ve also spent time in recording studios, so I feel I have a pretty good reference of what pure, master-quality music sounds like. (I wouldn’t dare say that’s what music is *supposed* to sound like, but when the record producer says “that’s it, that’s what will sell . . ,” everything else in the recording process tries to retain the integrity of that exact sound and quality) So, that is what I strive for in my pursuit of accurate music reproduction, and circuitry with global feedback does that with near perfection. Sure, lots of equipment sounds good, warm, open, etc., but does not sound accurate for *MY* liking.

It’s a little hard to argue with a record producer while listening to 1-inch, two-track master tape (it was quite a while ago) playing music back through a stack of Yamaha amps over gargantuan JBL speakers. Maybe you would want to tell him “that doesn’t sound very good – maybe try amps without feedback . . ,” but I wouldn’t.

So again, “. . . feedback is absolutely not useful for audio equipment!!” as you stated is pretty bold and IMHO, simply not true.
"Believers cling to the myth despite the evidence, reinterpret the myth to suit the evidence, or lie about the evidence to support the myth." "To err is human; to blame errors on external factors is even more so."
Old 20th November 2006, 08:01 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Jan Dupont
Keep the bandwidth under 300-500 kHz.....
You keep a good slewrate, and avoid a lot of troubles

Above 1 mHz the PCB layout biggins to be a problem....

Therefore only one question; Why ????
Old 23rd November 2006, 01:25 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hi ACD

With the risk of repeating my self

Quote:
Originally posted by Hoffmeyer
The reason for my Q is, that I'm currently building a ballanced preamp w/o global feedback, here we can exclude ordinary oscillation, having a simulated (PSpice) bandwidth of @20MHz.
The bandwidth was simulated, and
Quote:
Originally posted by Hoffmeyer
The question was more a theoretical one, since I at the time had very little experience in designing, and wanted to hear of other peoples experiences.
before I continued.

But allas, it took @5 years before anyone replied to my question, but I'm a patient person

I hope it answers Your question to why
Besides, I can only agree with You
Old 24th November 2006, 02:18 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I think people have had problems using Kimber style cables with unlimited bandwidth amps. I've seen a runaway or two at CES shows. Probably a HF oscillation but I'm not an amp designer so YRMV.
John...

Hide this!Advertise here!