TGM11 - no GNFB - inspired by Steven Dunlap 'KRILL'

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I didn't understand it well enough, nor could I get a satisfactory simulation running and didn't want to bench test it. So I didn't adopt it. I did include the basic buffer - you can see it somewhere earlier in this thread if you scroll back up.

DC conditions from the simulation, it all looks fine and operating well with Cordell`s models.
Modulating ccs trick has a little effect on the distortion in the simulation.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 402
YES!
The circuit works well.
But I was never happy about THD. It is higher than industry standards although it sounded wonderful.
Amusingly the Melbourne Audio Club resoundingly loved it but were not thrilled with the the figures.
Such is life....
HD

Did you build it exactly like from the scan from this post? TGM11 - no GNFB - inspired by Steven Dunlap 'KRILL'

Did you build it exactly like from the scan from this post? TGM11 - no GNFB - inspired by Steven Dunlap 'KRILL'

Pawel,

I think so, but it was a long time ago, more than 7 years ago and a brain injury! For a couple of years 2012-2014 much of my memory is hazy.....

Sottomano,
Yes, it was open loop. There was no closed loop back to the VAS, but there was heavy feedback from first to second stage. The Zout was pretty low, about DF of 40 actually, it drove a 87dB/watt/metre speaker well in a large auditorium with 110 people in attendance. I measured H2 at around 63dB down, THD around 0.1% at +20dB, followed with higher orders decreasing linearly at about 5dB each. What was really surprising was the sound quality; quite beautiful.

I moved on and my latest product, the Maya II, uses a simple source follower with very high gm mosfets. I do have global fb but keep it to about 30dB, most of the OLG is absorbed in nested fb.

On reflection I think there is a product here, but it is quite difficult to finesse it across the wide operating points we need for high end. And setting up a stable quiescent is tricky, the CCS is tetchy.

HD

Last edited:
Pawel,

I think so, but it was a long time ago, more than 7 years ago and a brain injury! For a couple of years 2012-2014 much of my memory is hazy.....

Sottomano,
Yes, it was open loop. There was no closed loop back to the VAS, but there was heavy feedback from first to second stage. The Zout was pretty low, about DF of 40 actually, it drove a 87dB/watt/metre speaker well in a large auditorium with 110 people in attendance. I measured H2 at around 63dB down, THD around 0.1% at +20dB, followed with higher orders decreasing linearly at about 5dB each. What was really surprising was the sound quality; quite beautiful.

I moved on and my latest product, the Maya II, uses a simple source follower with very high gm mosfets. I do have global fb but keep it to about 30dB, most of the OLG is absorbed in nested fb.

On reflection I think there is a product here, but it is quite difficult to finesse it across the wide operating points we need for high end. And setting up a stable quiescent is tricky, the CCS is tetchy.

HD

Dear Hugh!
with the value similar to proposed by you the circuit works as follow (it has the gain!!!),
what needs to be regulated?

Attachments

• sch.png
    sch.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 437
  • ac.png
    ac.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 433
  • acsmall.png
    acsmall.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 422
  • andrea ciuf power buff AKSA ngnb.asc
    4.9 KB · Views: 66
There is no gain but there is current manipulation. All voltage processing is a simple input base to emitter and second stage base to output emitter.

The distortion is created by differential Vbe steps arising from increasing output device Vbe and reducing Vbe at the drivers. To reduce these differentials we should arrange driver current increasing faster than the output base current demand. These currents are not linear because beta drops as output peaks.

The outcome is a spray of low order artefacts, H2 to H12. The profile is not identical to the profile driven from cross over. What surprised me was the good sound quality.

Pawel your Spice file sets only 20V rail. All my experiments used a 56V rail and things hot up at high power.

HD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.