Which type of capacitor should I use?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I’ve been assembling some small amplifier circuits based upon the TBA820M and as a starting point have used the test circuits in the ST datasheet. My question is regarding the capacitors in the circuits and am unclear on the difference of the non polarised capacitors.

With that regard which type of capacitors should be used in these type of circuits? E.g. can a 0.22uF can be a metalized polyester, a ceramic, a tantalum or even a non polarized electrolytic?

I am building up a stock of components including capacitors and am fine with electrolytics but it’s the other types i’m confused about. I seem to have quite a few ceramics & less metalized polyester but that’s about it.

When not stated on circuit diagram how do know what flavour of non electrolytics to use?

Another question: Why are polystyrene capacitors significantly more expensive than other sorts, what are they required for and do I need to add some to my stock?

Any thoughts and comments would be most welcome.

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.