emotiva xpa-2 : loud popping sound and my woofer is dead - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2017, 08:20 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default emotiva xpa-2 : loud popping sound and my woofer is dead

hi,

last night when i turn on my emotiva xpa-2 gen 2 power amp from standby position, i heard a loud popping sound on the right speaker. now the right woofer is dead but the tweeter is still playing music. i switched the woofers from right to left and it's positive that it's no longer working

it's a big amp rated 300 wpc for my diy 2-way speakers using scanspeak 15w/8530k00.

so what happened ? soft start circuit goes bad on the right channel ?
any idea what should i do next ?
Old 14th February 2017, 09:27 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Do I read this correctly; you have a 300Watt per channel amplifier and feed 15Watt speakers with it?
Old 14th February 2017, 09:29 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Measure DC offset of right amplifier channel and voice coil resistance of dead woofer, also inspect woofer visually.

There are two possibilities for what might have happened:

1. There was a big transient on the output becase for some reason muting did not work as expected, possibly a stuck protection relay or bad electrolytic. This may have been too much for the voice coil wire on the poor woofer. Could be fixable if you find the break and feel confident soldering very thin enamelled wire.

2. The loud pop was an indication of major DC offset on the amplifier channel, indicating a defect in the amplifier. This then proceeded to cook the poor voice coil in the woofer, which in this case would probably be a total loss (though I see it isn't the cheapest part, so having it rewound might still be worth it).
Old 14th February 2017, 10:52 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Looking at photos on the net, it looks like there is no loudspeaker protection relay so any issues with DC on the speaker line, the bass unit will fry.
Old 14th February 2017, 11:14 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

thanks for the help. i think it will be a while until i get a reliable DMM. or maybe i can get a pro to my house to fix it. this thing is heavy.
Old 14th February 2017, 06:47 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnell Electronic View Post
Do I read this correctly; you have a 300Watt per channel amplifier and feed 15Watt speakers with it?
Quote:
ScanSpeak 15w/8530k00
That's the model number of the driver. The "15w" is not a power rating. It's a 15cm (wide) driver, thus the 15w/... nomenclature.
Old 14th February 2017, 06:51 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodjingan View Post
hi,

last night when i turn on my emotiva xpa-2 gen 2 power amp from standby position, i heard a loud popping sound on the right speaker. now the right woofer is dead but the tweeter is still playing music. i switched the woofers from right to left and it's positive that it's no longer working

it's a big amp rated 300 wpc for my diy 2-way speakers using scanspeak 15w/8530k00.

so what happened ? soft start circuit goes bad on the right channel ?
any idea what should i do next ?
How soon after the turn-on "pop" did you turn off the amplifier?
Was there a burning smell? Can you smell a burned smell if you put your nose up to the driver now? Can you move the cone in if you push on it?
Old 14th February 2017, 10:02 PM   #8
ICG is offline ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLaub View Post
That's the model number of the driver. The "15w" is not a power rating. It's a 15cm (wide) driver, thus the 15w/... nomenclature.
The "W" stands for 'woofer' btw.

The Scanspeak Scanspeak 15W/8530K-00 got a 38mm voice coil wich means they can withstand the power for a short while. It is more likely they got killed by the impact of the VC on the back pole plate. No higher rated woofer of that size would have made a difference there. Even almost none of any protections would have cought that.
Old 15th February 2017, 07:33 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnell Electronic View Post
That should not be a problem, unless there's a malfuntion in the system, or the listener suffer from alcohol-induced poor hearing.

Most dead speakers have been killed by underpowered amps.

Johan-Kr
Old 15th February 2017, 08:08 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLaub View Post
How soon after the turn-on "pop" did you turn off the amplifier?
Was there a burning smell? Can you smell a burned smell if you put your nose up to the driver now? Can you move the cone in if you push on it?
i think it's about 1-2 minutes after i notice there's no sound on right woofer. i don't smell any smoke at all. touching the cone i feel there's no different between a healthy and damaged one.

Hide this!Advertise here!