What is the consensus of best amplifier topology TODAY??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's just a funny German spelling of the drink "Caipirinha", a totally awesome Brazilian cocktail (but you need pinga!). See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caipirinha

you can make them with vodka and call them caipiroska! Similar flavour, same result!! The recipe is to make them very strong, very sweet and with lots of lime!! Take it from someone who made thousands of them!! :D:D

Can we amplify current output signal only without other stages involved and receive it on speaker output? In this way it will be the simplest design. I haven't seen any current amplifiers. Do they exist?

Emitter Follower is a current amplifier.
It takes some voltage at low current at the input (because of its high input impedance), giving the same (almost) voltage at higher current at the output (because of its low output impedance).

Cheers,
Valery

With some voltage do you mean it's negligible? On the output there is always some voltage from 1 to 100mV. The amplifier to work should be with very low input resistance which is impossible due to noise rejection problem. So, it won't work I guess if it wouldn't be a balanced design.

Um, no, -40dB is 1%.
The "%" is already 1/100th=-40dB. 0.01% would be -80dB.

-80dB distortion can be done without overall feedback, but I've never seen it done at watt levels using triodes.

Yes!! I don't know what I was thinking but you are correct, -40db is 1%.

Hahaha .01% at 1 watt for no feedback amp would be impressive! Sorry for the confusion, carry on.

..even if the emphasis is of "TODAY" i do not think the question is answerable. Generational gap comes into the picture. I was born in the silicon age, obviously i will root for an ss amp topology.
Another thing was, this is a DIY forum, we are obviously subdivided into groups, the copy build group, the copy mod group, the designer analyst group, the writer/academic group and whatever group that you can think of. I do however think that there exists a "DEFINITIVE" amplifier topology. By definitive I mean popular by example.

:)

With some voltage do you mean it's negligible? On the output there is always some voltage from 1 to 100mV. The amplifier to work should be with very low input resistance which is impossible due to noise rejection problem. So, it won't work I guess if it wouldn't be a balanced design.

No :) It's sort of an off-topic in this thread - so if you like, let's continue via PM.

Here are the basic principles of the emitter follower (common collector amplifier) operation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_collector

As you can see from the formulas, its voltage gain is close to 1, its current gain is close to beta of the transistor. So, in general, it replicates the voltage, amplifying the current. Output stage in many amplifiers is designed as a multi-stage emitter follower.

It can be single-ended, push-pull, balanced - doesn't matter.

Albeit there is no consensus, analyzing all the posts at this place it seems that the democratically chosen best amp topology is the one who produces the least distortion by throwing tons of feedback at it.
In an LT Spice simulation, I might add.

Some designers think this is the way to go. However, situation is not that easy ;)
I tried to explain in the end of post #10.

Albeit there is no consensus, analyzing all the posts at this place it seems that the democratically chosen best amp topology is the one who produces the least distortion by throwing tons of feedback at it.
In an LT Spice simulation, I might add.

There are more ways of using the loop gain than allocating it all to global feedback. Many prefer using more local feedback and lower global feedback. There are arguments both ways. But then distortion is only one small part of amp design.

Edit: Agree with Valery.

I'm looking to drive Boenicke w5 clones @4ohms... the designer says they love power but the specs on the nc500 into 4r scare me at 700watts (I believe)... I don't listen to music at crazy volume anymore but I'm guessing 100 would be plenty. Or 220/221, whatever it takes :)

I concur pretty closely with Xaborus, you'll probably need no more than 20W if you're not into head-banging parties. So you might find just a lowish powered classD amp suits you very well - I'm really partial to the TDA8932 which satisfies me in an optimized implementation around 15W. Driving into 4ohm though definitely needs an output transformer with that chip as I like running bridged.

Save

..even if the emphasis is of "TODAY" i do not think the question is answerable. Generational gap comes into the picture. I was born in the silicon age, obviously i will root for an ss amp topology.
Another thing was, this is a DIY forum, we are obviously subdivided into groups, the copy build group, the copy mod group, the designer analyst group, the writer/academic group and whatever group that you can think of. I do however think that there exists a "DEFINITIVE" amplifier topology. By definitive I mean popular by example.

:)

Sorry messed up again.......Which is...?...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.