Current Inrush Question - low power xfmr

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is the situation, a 12 VCT transformer rated at 750 mA. The power supply connected to this is using the only caps I have, which are 4,400 uF for each rail. The circuit itself only uses about 100 mA, so this is all the power that is drawn in normal operation.

I am worried about a current surge to charge the caps when this thing is turned on, should I be worried about damaging the 750 mA rated transformer when powering on where the 4,400 uF caps are initially charging?

If so, what's the easiest way to do a little inrush suppression, connect one of these thermisters
http://rocky.digikey.com/scripts/ProductInfo.dll?Site=US&V=45&M=CL-60

in series with the primary? or secondary?
other ideas?

50-60Hz transformers are usually very forgiving of load surges

This is due to the thermal inertia of all the copper mass, that allows to operate them even in short-circuit conditions for a fraction of a minute without enough temperature increase to damage anything. 120ºC to 180ºC are usually required to damage winding insulation

In the other hand, capacitors and diodes or other solid state devices may suffer damage due to these current surges, but this is hardly seen in 10VA applications

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.