how to bring down line level signal to preamplifier level

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi there
i wonder if anyone could assist me on this one,i want to couple the audio output of my computer sound card to my stereo deck but i dont know if the signal level wont be too high.the deck uses a digital volume control ic as the preamp i wonder what i can do to the line level signal to reduce it to the preamp level

A "generic audio preamplifier" is one which handles line level audio.
It expects incoming sources to have an average level of about .4 volt but can accept audio levels up to a couple of volts.

Go ahead and connect the output of your sound card to your preamp. If the level is too high, turn it down using your computer's software.

I hope this helps.

Sorry for the time lapse......

Line level and preamp level are the same thing. That's where you are getting confused. Line level is also the same as High Impedance and Low Impedance is power output. If you are doing the conversion say in car audio application, you want an LLC. Line Level Convertor. You would connect the Low side to the output of the Car's head unit. Those wires would drive a speaker..... The High Impedence side would go to the INPUT of another power amp. The good ones are NOT resistor dropping networks. They are small audio isolation transformers so if the primary of the transformer frys, the input to the power amp is isolated and protected. The signal coming out of a sound card IS Line Level or preamp level.

Line Level = preamp level!

Don't confuse Power Out with Line Level. There is only one type of output capable of driving a loudspeaker (excluding headphones) It is called POWER OUT!!!!!

Chris

That would be correct my dear fellow.

Just make sure that the volume is down as different headphones have very different sensetivities and very fine headphones will not take a lot of drive signal to be loud and clean.

In other words, turn the volume down so you don't take a chance on blowing the headphones.

Chris

hi group
i tried hooking up the sound card directly as u suggested but it didn;t work out well as in the sound was scratchy so i reverse engineered a goodmans 4210b deck to see what really happens to the auxillary signal applied to the jack at the back.so i constructed the circuit and it worked quite well,but thanks for your enlightenments

"i want to couple the audio output of my computer sound card to my stereo deck but "

No problem. I just take a <3.5mm phono>-to-RCA adapter and plug in the "line out" from my Audigy card into the "aux" input of my tuner-preamp.

Then I found a local radio station that also feeds it's broadcast into the internet. First I tun in that station on the tuner-pre, then connect to it via WinAmp. I adjust the WinAmp volume until both are at the same level. (Switching bacj and forth between "Aux" and "Tuner".) I next do the same thibg with a CD player that feeds the tuner-pre directly and withe the CD-R drivre in my PC. After that I no longer use the PC to control the volume - just the tuner-pre. Since the tuner-pre provides the same gain to allources, this ensures that the signal from the Audigy is the same as from any other line source.

BTW, the preamp drives a Slone 11.4 which runs a pair of old but excellent KEFs. Makes any powered "multimedia" system sound like the boombox it is!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.