Question about DC blocking cap. Yamaha P2200 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2017, 05:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Question about DC blocking cap. Yamaha P2200

Howdy folks,

I happened upon a pretty crazy craigslist deal where I found 5! Yamaha P2200/P2201 amps.

Crazy. Road abused yes.

And only one of them works properly. My question here is, assuming it's powering JBL 4412's, 8 ohm impedance, what would be a good value for DC blocking caps on the output of the amp?

I just want to be absolutely sure when I try it with the JBL's that I'm not going to be putting +/-80V on their coils or that a transistor failure down the road won't do the same.

Something like two 4700uF back to back to create essentially a non polar cap? That's a value I've heard before in regards to an 8 ohm load, but I'm not entirely sure.

???
Old 9th February 2017, 01:13 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

That will work for 8 ohms, but on a split supply amp it will sound a little funny. At least the one I tried did on the CS800s I tried it on.
The one I tried was two 10000 uf back to back, since that was what I had used.
The CS800s has competent DC detection and relay disconnect, Enzo tells me. I don't have any knowledge of what is in a Y P2200.
Single supply amps where the output stays above zero can use a single e-cap of proper polarity in series with the speaker, which is what I tend to build. There is no center tap transformer connection to the speaker.
DC detect and disconnect circuits using two FETs source to drain is what is done in a more modern fashion. See the various protection threads on SS forum for schematics of other Solid state protection circuits. I don't know any place to buy one. The protection circuit diyaudio sells has an old fashioned hard contact relay, which is slow and prone to contact oxidation and silence in the 6 to 10 year realm. E-bay units, the pictures show a dinky relay probably not rated for the 1000 A DC rush they undergo when the rail caps dump through a shorted transistor. DC tends to weld contacts together, hardly any relays are rated for it.

Last edited by indianajo; 9th February 2017 at 01:18 AM.
Old 9th February 2017, 01:51 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks indianajo

Yeah, from researching it seems like the relay protection circuits may or may not work, depending on the robustness of he relays? I haven't invested enough time reading up on them.

I was on my way to placing a mouser order so I thought I'd at least try the blocking cap(s) at first to be sure not to screw up my speakers. I'm not familiar yet with this amp combo, so I suppose I won't know what "funny" sounds like.
Old 10th February 2017, 02:12 PM   #4
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

4m7F back to back results in 2m35F

F-3 dB = 1/{2 Pi R C} = 1/{2 *3.14*8*0.00235} = ~8.5Hz
F-1dB ~17Hz.
That indicates you won't lose much low bass signal with a pair of back to back 4m7F.
You will hear it.

Hide this!Advertise here!