Apex SB 3.1 Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok so i have built the Apex SB3.1 Preamplifier. The problem is that the multimeter reads 10 Volts at point A and B. It should read 24 volts as indicated in the diagram.

Any idea why is this happening. I am using a 15-0-15 ( 1 Amp ) transformer. The transformer ground wire ( center tap ) is unused and the preamp is fed from the remaining 2 wires.

Attachments

• 2017-01-31_11-26-47.png
    2017-01-31_11-26-47.png
    244.1 KB · Views: 793
Reactions: 1 user
Ok so i have built the Apex SB3.1 Preamplifier. The problem is that the multimeter reads 10 Volts at point A and B. It should read 24 volts as indicated in the diagram.

Any idea why is this happening. I am using a 15-0-15 ( 1 Amp ) transformer. The transformer ground wire ( center tap ) is unused and the preamp is fed from the remaining 2 wires.

You must use transformer 24-0-24. You must connect center tap to gnd and you can use transformer 15-0-15 but you must relace 24v zeners with 15v zeners. This PCB have mistake... you can fix it use this pcb.

Attachments

• sb3.1 pcb.jpg
    sb3.1 pcb.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 719
You must use transformer 24-0-24. You must connect center tap to gnd and you can use transformer 15-0-15 but you must relace 24v zeners with 15v zeners. This PCB have mistake... you can fix it use this pcb.

Thanks for the reply. Apart from using a 24-0-24 transformer and connecting center tap to ground. Is there any other change that i need to do in the circuit ?

With a wrong polarity it looks like the transistors collector is an emitter and the emitter a collector.Like that it still works at low voltages but with a very low current gain.But at higher voltages (>7V) the base-emitter juntion acts as a zener diode with possebly high currents destroying the amp.
Mona

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.